veggies

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
What are some of the most reliable brands for power supplies? I am looking to build a high power system.

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

marcovelo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I am looking to buy a psu for my new computer . 750w/850w would be enough for me. But shopping on the net I've found a 1000w cyber-E-sport gamepwr power supply for less then 100$.

I guess my question is: why is it so cheap ? ?????

here's the link to the web site : http://www.cyber-e-sport.com/gamepwr/psu-1000w.php

I know its not an antec , corsaire or any well known brand but then again it half the price. any info on that product would be nice cant find any reviews ;-( .

-M.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

I'd say the exact same. Seasonic is the oem that Corsair has contracted and both are really high grade power supplies.
Haven't had any problem with Antec power supplies either, and never tried enermax

Thermaltake's okay, but not 'quality' - they're a bit like coolermaster and ocz - I'd call all these three upper midrange. I would stay away from ocz supplies though as I've had some bad experiences with poor or absent noise management. They've got great tech support though - but so does corsair.

my favorite pick : corsair

Used em in all my builds since 2007 (mostly VX supplies, only two modular ones) and haven't had a single issue yet.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

Personally I'd got for a Corsair as I always do that, but you might be just as happy with this unit you found.
According to this review of it's little brother (german) it's performing okay.
But how it'll fair in the long run I can't predict.

I'd like to point out though that the unit sports four seperate 12V rails which amount to a total of 75A. This means you'll have to use as many of the modular cables as you can in order not to overload a rail - which imo defeats the purpose of a modular supply.
In contrast a Corsair 1000W PSU sports 80A on only two 12V rails (40A each) making it much easier to balance the load. http://www.corsair.com/products/hx1000/default.aspx

Antecs 1000W supply is also a 4 rail unit, but it sports 25A per rail instead of what I assume must be 18A per rail, making it much easier to handle as well.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
JohnnyLucky, do you have that in a text file for quick cut and past answers? I swear that's the 3rd time I've read that from you.

Veggies, what kind of system will this be running. While some brands are great and some are not, there are some with good models and bad models. Once we figure out how much power you need, we can use the list linked in my sig for quality reviews of models and not get lost among brands.

skora, a lot of us maintain files of cut 'n paste replies that we may edit for a specific reply. It simply gets so tiring repeating the same answers to the same questions. Anytime I finding myself answering the same question twice, I save my answer.