Question about Corsair Dominator (found answer, lock or delete please)

bastyn99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
HI Toms Hardware!
currently in the progress of putting together a new PC and im trying to decide on what RAM to use.

At first I was going for 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz Kingston HyperX CL7 RAM, but recently Ive been looking in to maybe getting some faster RAM.

Some Corsair Dominator (maybe GT series) RAM. 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz CL7.

So I have some questions. Would there be any noticeable performance increase in overall system speed and gaming. Would I be able to underclock the Dominator RAM to 1333MHz and lower the timings and get better performance that way? and if so, could I get maybe even 2000MHz RAM and do the same for even bigger performance increase ?

And second question, I will be using the Asus Crosshair IV formula Mobo, with a Phenom II X4 955, which im gonna OC, and a Zalman CNPS 10x Extreme cooler. Are the dominator RAM gonna fit in there or will the cooler block them ? I know the HyperX RAM will fit, but not sure about the Dominator because of the heat fins.
Ive heard that RAM sticks lower than 36mm should fit, but I dont know how tall the Dominators are.
I also know that the Dominator RAM will fit in the same mobo with the Thermaltake Frio cooler, which is 165mm tall and 139mm long. The Zalman is 160mm tall and 135mm long.

ps. dont suggest getting G. Skill RAM, not available in my country, neither is the Thermaltake Frio

thanks for reading

Hello
Memory speeds,timings,voltages etc. don't have much of an effect on the system's performance,they are mostly important for OC'ng.
As for underclocking, well no one can answer it exactly because you have to tweak the settings in order to get a good OC(sometimes you have to lower the MHz in order to have lower timings)
And i think it will fit fine.

bastyn99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010

Well I checked another forum post, one I acutally started myself, doh, and it was pointed out in there that Corsair Dominator sticks wont fit as they are 51mm tall which is way too much. Im also only gonna OC my CPU and GPU so think ill just stick with the HyperX... thx anyway ;)