Your question

Ssd and hd not talking to each other

Tags:
  • SSD
  • HD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2011 6:33:48 PM

have read many many posts and I still cannot figure out how to boot from my ssd (W7) then select and move programs from hd(XP) to ssd, and run things on hd from ssd.
I wanted to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 530 as much as possible until I build a pc in a couple of years. I know that the money and time could have built a new one but we all do dumb things.
Board is Dell 0FM586 Bus Clock: 333 megahertz. Memory is DDR2 4gig 399.0 hz. Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750.
So first I replaced my old hard drive with WDC Raptor 10k WD3000HLFS-01MZUV0(300.07 GB). Used Acronis to move everything from old hard drive. I flashed the latest bios 1.0.18, 02/24/2009 and installed a Q9650 ($205 on EBAY). Windows XP. Driver Detective upgraded chip drivers. So far all great. Very fast.
So, I thought why not get an ssd for a boot disk. I now doubt the wisdom of it, but it’s done.
Bought INTEL SSDSC2MH120A2 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) – spent much too much money. Changed from IDE to RAID. Installed SSD in second bay. Unplugged WBC hardrive. Changed boot order to cd. Installed Windows 7 64 bit on ssd. Reattached hd and adjusted bios. Ssd drive 0, hd drive 1.
So now I can boot on ssd and have W7 and no access to hd, or I can boot to xp on hd and have no access to ssd. On either disk drive manager says all good. Speccy and Belarc say all good. So, how do I boot from my ssd (W7) then select and move programs from hd(XP) to ssd, and run everything in W7 boot from ssd?
Can anyone direct me to posts for this, or tell me what to do

More about : ssd talking

December 10, 2011 8:31:03 PM

changing to raid in bios BIG mistake - after many black screen no boots managed to install W7 on ssd. Back to IDE. My mo doesnt seem to support ahci On to trying to get hd up and running. same isues - btw cannot find descriptios of how to edit post and other basic stuff
m
l
December 10, 2011 11:12:09 PM

just read http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/6643-63-windows-boot-... - I don't think anyone should suggest that anyone but an expert shpuld try to use an ssd for a boot disk - I certainly can't figure it out. I don't ever ever go in the registry and I dislike using command line -
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 10, 2011 11:57:27 PM

Wait, you tried to do RAID between the SSD and HDD? RAID involves having two close-to-identical drives, not one for booting and one for extra data. That's probably the biggest issue here.
To edit yourself, click either of the first two small buttons on the bottom-right of each of your posts.
Do you have a backup of your files, or would it be really bad to wipe both drives and start over? It's not that hard to set up from a clean install if you go about it the right way, but trying to get this working while preserving files that only exist on the two drives that are causing the problem could be much more difficult.
m
l
December 11, 2011 1:30:47 AM

I can back up the hd - ssd only has windows 7 - bios back to ide
m
l
a b G Storage
December 11, 2011 1:56:05 AM

IDE and RAID are two entirely different things, not options. IDE is a connection type and RAID is a way of using HDDs together.
Back up!
m
l
December 18, 2011 2:49:41 PM

kajabla said:
IDE and RAID are two entirely different things, not options. IDE is a connection type and RAID is a way of using HDDs together.
Back up!

Thank you so much for your help. I finally backed up the hard drive (xp installed) to an external drive. I disconnected the hard drive, reconnected the ssd, and successfully installed W7 on the ssd. Have now disconnected the ssd and reconnected the HD. Disk manager shows disk 0 with 2 partitions: 1 partition basic FAT, healthy (EISA configuration) (what’s this?) capacity 39 Meg free 30 - 76%. 2d partition basic NTFS, (healthy system) capacity 249 g, free 213 g, - 76%.
What to do next?
m
l
December 25, 2011 1:32:01 PM

Beware the Toolbox.

Many reviewers of the 510 mention the usefulness of the Intel SSD Toolbox - HOWEVER - while had Intel states in the product description for the 510 that it is compatible with the Toolbox, Intel's Toolbox download page states that the Toolbox does NOT support the 510.

At the moment, Intel provides only the Intel® SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool for the 510. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?Produc...

There are many posts on various forums mentioning problems that occurred when using the Toolbox with the 510.
m
l
!