Sign in with
Your question

Triple Monitor Setup - Is This Correct?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2009 2:32:30 PM

Hey all!

Right now I have an HIS 4870 with 2 DVI-outs, and after some research I have concluded that an ordinary DVI-out cannot be split via a simple cable (correct me if I'm wrong). Most articles I have read involve simply adding a secondary video card to gain access to a third DVI. My motherboard does not have an IGP.

Here's the video card I was thinking about using as my secondary card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't want to spend too much just for the extra DVI out, but my question is whether it's safe or not to go with an NVidia card to pair up with my 4870? I have read some articles where configuring an NVidia card with an ATI card can be a little sketchy. Is this correct?

Would buying this one make a difference?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lastly, I have never set up a triple monitor display before (evidently),so what are the common steps necessary after the new card has been installed? Does the secondary card even need drivers?

Thanks in advance!
December 27, 2009 12:27:22 AM

I cry at the sight of no replies.... :( 
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 27, 2009 2:03:41 PM

For simplicity's sake, stick with an ATI card. I don't think you can pair an ATI card with an NVidia card on windows 7 or Vista. I think it's possible with Windows XP. As for which card, you'll want to go with a card newer than your selected 9250 as it's no longer supported by ATI. For the same price, you can get this HD3650.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
December 28, 2009 10:22:33 PM

Wolfshadw said:
For simplicity's sake, stick with an ATI card. I don't think you can pair an ATI card with an NVidia card on windows 7 or Vista. I think it's possible with Windows XP. As for which card, you'll want to go with a card newer than your selected 9250 as it's no longer supported by ATI. For the same price, you can get this HD3650.

-Wolf sends

I don't have another PCIe slot...I do however have 3 PCI slots.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 2:10:44 AM

Cheapest I can find on Newegg is this ATI HD2400Pro at $64.99.

-Wolf sends
December 29, 2009 4:30:20 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Cheapest I can find on Newegg is this ATI HD2400Pro at $64.99.

-Wolf sends

So should I get that HD2400 over the 9250 simply because it is still supported?
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 8:19:36 AM

Yes.

-Wolf sends
!