First build-general anti-static + 212 evo heatsink install question

canhcutvl

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm abt to build my first build, the full list is here https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=20778466. I don't have any experience and quite nervous abt this cuz the parts are expensive. I have some question:

1/. I have sweaty palms so I intend to use nitrile gloves (non-latex, used for meat handling :p). I know latex, nylon, plastic have high risk of static build-up. Are nitrile gloves safe? Or is there better way to handle sweaty palms?

2/. I didn't buy anti-static wrist strap. I want to touch the case (with no power, cuz the PSU is not installed yet) and the metal floor lamp in my room. Is that sufficient?

3/. Is there any way I can install the back plate of 212 without turning the mobo over? I watch youtube and they turn the mobo over which look very uneven and I'm afraid I may bend something while doing that.

4. I intend to use the '1 bean size' drop method when apply thermal paste cuz it looks like 212 evo doesn't have clear 'channels' like 212+. Has anyone tried this method with 212 evo?

Stories and experience welcome :p , Sorry I don't know where to post the static questions.

skaz

Distinguished

1. Wouldn't worry about using gloves unless your hands create a lot of sweat to the point that its dripping off of your hands.
2. If you don't have a strap you can simply ground yourself to something grounded before and as you work on your build. The simple method is to have your PSU installed, turned off but plugged in to an outlet (grounded outlet of course) and then you can ground yourself by simply touching the case and/or the PSU.
3. Depending on your case you may be able to install the backplate with the mobo installed. Again, depends on the case cut out though.
4. large pea size directly in middle, apply from bottom up and not at an angle. Install heatsink, pressure from heatsink will spread the TIM.

canhcutvl

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

@amuffin: my room is carpet but I will do on a wooden (Ikea) desk. Will that work?

@skaz: I have a question abt #4: "apply from bottom up and not at an angle": You mean when I press the tube it should be at vertical position (90* compare to the CPU surface)?

skaz

Distinguished
Correct. I don't see that mentioned much. But I learned from exp that the TIM wont spread as evenly across the CPU if applied from any angle. Because when you stop applying and remove tube it can make your blob uneven so to speak.

skaz

Distinguished

Don't worry to much. The scary parts are the most rewarding too. Have some coffee filters and Isopropyl alcohol on hand in case you need to clean up the TIM and re-due. If you have extra TIM don't be afraid to do a test run on something.

@skaz: What do you think of the twist method, for the heat sink?
I think the natural spread of one dot will cover the necessary parts of the CPU. But I don't think a light twist of the heatsink would hurt anything either. If I remember correctly from some old AMD builds the instructions did recommend twisting the heatsink back and forth a few degrees. Not much though, just a small bit if at all.

If you check this video out it shows some cool footage of TIM being spread with different methods. --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

canhcutvl

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
thanks guys, I have paper towel and 70% isopropyl. Will go buy the 99% one this weekend. Will use the tube coming together with the 212 evo. I think can do one test apply before start.

Another question came up is how long should I wait before I can turn the case/mobo upward/vertical after applying the TIM? 1 hour? 1 day?

G

immediately is ok. its not concrete that needs to set and cure. overtime, the heat and cooling down when off will "cure it" - few days.

if you have an old t-pass or mom and dad have an old credit card there ready to cut up you can use it to spread the tp. if not a cheap cake frosting kinfe will do. make sure the i\o shield is all the way in or you have a hard time lining up the mb with stand offs. when you get to that point ask dad or a friend for help. one will have to push lighly on the back of the mb to push it into the i\o shield foam. when the wholes line up put the screws in the four connors but not 100 percent of the way in..wait till all the standoff screws are in. (use a magntic tip it keep the screw from falling out and landing under or in the mb). with the ram..video card..ps connected in the case power the mb up...dont worry at this time with the led or reset..go into the bios and watch the cpu temps and voltage of the power supply. let it sit there for 10-15 min..check that the ps is fine and holding and that your cpu heat sink on right. temp should say withing 35-50c depending on the heat sink and case and room temp. if the temp keeps going up and up and up...exit the cmos and power off and see if the cpu cooler on tight.

G

please do not spread the TP it causes air bubbles.
[flash=420,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/EyXLu1Ms-q4[/flash]
@1:53

canhcutvl

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Ok, im done with the build: I got temperature min 32-38 * C and max 42-52*C. I use CPUID to monitor and this is just moderate use no stress test. Is this a healthy temperature for the CPU?