How often should you build a new computer

how often do you think you should you build a new computer from scratch instead of upgrading parts

• 1 year

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 1 1/2 years

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wolfbrancher

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I also voted 2 years, but only because there is no higher option. Of course this depends upon the type of system you build, and your upgrade options. If you build an economical system with known upgradability then probably 5+ years, maybe as long as 10 if you are not a high-end user. I still have a laptop with a P-4 processor that does everything I need it to just fine, but I am not doing allot of multi-tasking, high-end gaming or 3-d with it. I also have a PC I recently built with an AMD 64 x2 5000 brisbane processor, and a Biostar GF8100 M2+ SE, which I can upgrade to a Phenom II X4 processor down the road when the price drops under $100, which I have a Newegg price alert set for, and I can upgrade from my current 800 MHZ 4 Gb RAM, to 1066 MHZ 8 Gb RAM. Of course use this information considering that the application I use most to push my system is for WOW (World of Warcraft) which is not a high CPU demanding game from my experience.

Hope everyone has a happy new year.

Depending on what you do, you will usually need to only upgrade RAM/HDD/GPU/or CPU every 1-2 years. I usually upgrade to a completely new CPU and/or GPU 1-1.5 years as needed. As for HDDs, depending on space, I add a extra HDD every 7-8 months. As for RAM, I plan to max out all my remaining DDR2 based systems at 8GB before DDR2 prices become insane. As for GPU, I plan to snag a ATI 5870 in about another month to replace the 4870 I currently have.

Depending on what you do, you will usually need to only upgrade RAM/HDD/GPU/or CPU every 1-2 years. I usually upgrade to a completely new CPU and/or GPU 1-1.5 years as needed. As for HDDs, depending on space, I add a extra HDD every 7-8 months. As for RAM, I plan to max out all my remaining DDR2 based systems at 8GB before DDR2 prices become insane. As for GPU, I plan to snag a ATI 5870 in about another month to replace the 4870 I currently have.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
This is a bit of a faulty question. How much did you spend on the hypothetical PC? A $2000 will last a year or so longer than a $1000 one. What is the PC used for? An office PC doesn't need to be upgraded as often as a gaming one, and even between gamers there is a difference in needs.
Personally I'd say 4 years if you started with quality parts, 3 with a budget one and 5 if you used top notch ones.