Sign in with
Your question

Determining rough HDD temps in raid 0 when in use

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2011 12:06:32 AM

I have 2 wd caviar blacks in raid 0. And one older wd storage drive.

I have noticed with ambient room temps about 25c and playing BF3 the storage drive, which was not in use, was at 43c.

This is very high but I have 2 560tis in sli pumping a lot of heat out in its vacinity.

The HDDs are sandwiched between 2 high CFM intake fans.

How much higher in temperature would an HDD be when being used for gaming purposes? About 10c? or much more?

Just a bit worried if the array could be getting to dangerous temps.
a b G Storage
December 11, 2011 12:27:50 AM

mc_conor said:

How much higher in temperature would an HDD be when being used for gaming purposes? About 10c? or much more?

Just a bit worried if the array could be getting to dangerous temps.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The only thing that would affect the temperature of the HDDs is the GPU heat. HDDs don't work harder in gaming than they do in, say, transferring large files, so they don't heat themselves up. They do last longer, though, at lower temps.
Could you describe your entire case/fan setup in greater detail or provide a picture?
December 11, 2011 12:34:30 AM

probably need another exhaust fan, or one with a higher cfm.

Which current model of 120s fans do you have as intake, what do you have as exhaust?
Related resources
December 11, 2011 12:49:03 AM

Ok here is my setup, caviar blacks in 2nd and 3rd tray, storage in 4th, 1st is going to be for an ssd soon. Any advice on my air flow.

All fans are 120mm akasa vipers bar the greed led front intake 140mm.

December 11, 2011 12:50:27 AM

Sorry about that pic sizing not sure how to change it.
a b G Storage
December 11, 2011 12:50:28 AM

Those two top fans should absolutely be blowing upward and outward, exhausting the hot air that the cards generate. As is, you're just keeping it from leaving the case, and as it stews around it gets further heated by the GPUs and your internal temps rise. This looks like an easy fix!
December 11, 2011 12:56:48 AM

Yea i though that the radiator fans pushing in would be better on CPU temps, but i suppose that I'm getting 50c load on CPU and the GPUs are at 70c and high HDD temps.

It's probably better to have 5c higher CPU than toast everything else in the system.
December 11, 2011 1:01:33 AM

Also on a side note, the hdd drive which i use to store games has recieved this smart error. I will be getting a new storage drive and ssd in the new year but I am wondering if this drive is nearly dead, I have had it since 2007 so I presume it could be on its way out:

a b G Storage
December 11, 2011 1:01:49 AM

I'll bet you get lower CPU temps with the fans going out. I see your thought process, but the recirculated air'll end up getting it hotter than it would be otherwise. Even if this wasn't the case, you're right that 55C would be fine.
Reallocation means that it's found the drive has found a bad part of itself and has saved the data on that part by moving it elsewhere. I'd say that it does mean the drive's on its last legs. If you haven't yet, BACK UP.
December 11, 2011 1:04:52 AM

To pick your brains one more time kajabla, do you know anything about the error code which I recieved on the storage drive and if i should disconnect and backup immediately?
December 11, 2011 1:13:04 AM

Sorry didn't realise you posted at the same time lol.

No problem thanks kaj will back it up.
a b G Storage
December 11, 2011 1:48:48 AM

ALWAYS back up. Hard drive prices be damned.
!