LCD problem on Compaq Evo N600c

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 1:26:53 AM

I'm having a very strange intermittent problem on my Compaq N600c, P3
1.2Ghz, 768Mb RAM, SXGA+ LCD, Ati Radeon 32Mb running Windows XP Pro SP1
with all updates and the latest Omega drivers.

Sometimes when the laptop is on standby and I bring it back, the LCD
stays dark. The lights flash, and it looks like the laptop is on,
however the LCD does not turn on. It also happened a couple of times
when I left the laptop on, and the LCD was turned off by the Power
Management (Always On settings).

If I click the mouse, keyboard, touchpad, nothing happens. However, if I
put the system on standby and bring it back, it always works.

Is this a hardware problem or is it a software one? It happened on an
older install of XP, but it does it even now, with a fresh one.

Thanks,

Cosmin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 10:04:41 AM

Cosmin N. wrote:

> I'm having a very strange intermittent problem on my Compaq N600c, P3
> 1.2Ghz, 768Mb RAM, SXGA+ LCD, Ati Radeon 32Mb running Windows XP Pro SP1
> with all updates and the latest Omega drivers.
>
> Sometimes when the laptop is on standby and I bring it back, the LCD
> stays dark. The lights flash, and it looks like the laptop is on,
> however the LCD does not turn on. It also happened a couple of times
> when I left the laptop on, and the LCD was turned off by the Power
> Management (Always On settings).
>
> If I click the mouse, keyboard, touchpad, nothing happens. However, if I
> put the system on standby and bring it back, it always works.
>
> Is this a hardware problem or is it a software one? It happened on an
> older install of XP, but it does it even now, with a fresh one.

I'm not sure if my ISP's news servers have terrible retention or if
nobody replied to my post, but in case anyone read it, I just talked to
Compaq's tech support. They said it's a software issue, not a hardware
problem. If that's really the case, since I'm running the latest drivers
and all the possible WinXP updates, I can always hope for M$ to patch
their "most stable OS". Or I'll just install Slack on it and be done
with it.

Cosmin
!