Trying to max out my PC without getting a new MoBo or PS. Help!

Jul 12, 2012
Hello,

I trying to max out my PC's hardware and then OC it. Before I go buying hardware, I would like some advice from guys and gals that have done this before. Here is where I'm at now:

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A78/#overview

RAM, 8 GB - DDR2 , PC-2 6400 (400MHz)

AMD Athlon 64 2X 6000+

NVIDIA GeForce 450 GTS

I do know there is an upgraded heatsink in my future, beyond that I'm naive to the concept of OC'ing.

Thanks in advance!

JR

Exactly what aspect of your performance are you trying to improve?

If it is fps for gaming, upgrade the graphics card.

If it is for a cpu bound multithreaded app like rendering, replace the cpu.

If you just want general quicknedd, buy a SSD for the os and some apps.

Jul 12, 2012

Well that’s the thing… I’m not trying to accomplish any one particular thing. My goal is to max out and then OC my PC for no better reason than to learn how to do it. So far I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of forums, now I want to actually start working on the hardware. Due to a severe lack of disposal income, I need to do this without destroying my stuff. I’m not looking for detailed schematics, just some pointers so I don’t go down the old trial and error road. :)

Well, if you are trying not to accomplish anything, then I am sure you will be able to achieve that.

If you want to learn how the various components relate to each other, try limiting them to see the effect.

Take out a stick of ram and see what happens.

Limit the cpu to 50% and see what happens.

Underclock the graphics card and see what happens.

You will then get a better idea of what is important without risking permanent damage to your parts.

TRENDING THREADS