Sign in with
Your question

Anti corrosive?

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 12, 2012 10:02:41 PM

Previously I had a loop with a pump, swiftech apogee hd, 2X280mm rads, res, and a full cover waterblock for my 560 ti (not in that order) but I just recently bought a nickel plated full cover block for a 670 I upgraded to and it had the following warning:

Certain biocide additives such as Copper II sulphate CUSO4 , silver coils AG and even pure distilled water only may- when not used with corrosion inhibiting coolant - cause irreparable damage to the nickel plating due to accelerated galvanic corrosion and are as such not recommended for use with EK nickel-plated products. The use of untested or home made coolant blends may also promote or accelerate the corrosion of nickel palting.

says I should use EK-Ekoolant, I've been using a silver kill coil plus just plain distilled water and have been fine so far, but im worried about that warning. thoughts?

More about : anti corrosive

a c 337 K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 10:22:38 PM

This is discussed in the sticky. Basically they won't honor your warranty if you don't use their coolant and you end up with corrosion issues on their nickel plated blocks.

It's total BS since other manufacturers don't seem to have this issue with their nickel plated blocks, but they make the rules when you buy their gear and its your choice to follow them.
m
l
July 12, 2012 10:35:08 PM

rubix_1011 said:
This is discussed in the sticky. Basically they won't honor your warranty if you don't use their coolant and you end up with corrosion issues on their nickel plated blocks.

It's total BS since other manufacturers don't seem to have this issue with their nickel plated blocks, but they make the rules when you buy their gear and its your choice to follow them.

fuuu just read the sticky, basically said the same thing as the warning label T_T wish i read that sticky before ordering this waterblock but ive watercooled before and figured thered be no problems... 15 bucks for 1L of EKoolant -__-
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 3:40:41 PM

I use water wetter in my systems for corrosion control I have for years and none of my blocks have corroded I have aluminum in the loop still no problems old swiftech blocks have the tops made out of aluminum. heck if I think about it I have copper, nickel, silver, brass, and aluminum in my loop and have never had a issue with corrosion but if you build your loop with only copper blocks and silver fittings corrosion should not be a issue.
m
l
July 13, 2012 6:31:05 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
I use water wetter in my systems for corrosion control I have for years and none of my blocks have corroded I have aluminum in the loop still no problems old swiftech blocks have the tops made out of aluminum. heck if I think about it I have copper, nickel, silver, brass, and aluminum in my loop and have never had a issue with corrosion but if you build your loop with only copper blocks and silver fittings corrosion should not be a issue.

have any ek nickel plated blocks? apparently it is (or at least was) a big issue with their nickel plating. some people have said EK fixed the problem, guess ill just have to take my chances, I already have the blocks
m
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 6:41:26 PM

That was the entire point of the data being posted in the sticky- it's debatable whether or not EK corrected the plating issue. If they had (and done it correctly) they wouldn't have issues, and there have been a few people saying it's still occurring. Regardless, buy including this information as part of their warranty and RMA process, it directly offloads the responsibility of their poor plating process onto the consumer to jump through unnecessary hoops to abide by their rules to protect their shoddy work.
m
l
!