Sign in with
Your question

Is 'overclocking' a feature of motherboard and processor alone?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 13, 2012 1:59:08 AM

Hello,
I would like to know whether 'overclocking' is a feature of motherboard and processor alone?
Or is it directly related to the RAM also.
Furthermore, how much more can a 1600MHz single channel DDR3 RAM be overclocked?
And, is overclocking safe and better way to speed up ones computer???
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 3:09:02 AM

yes, you can tweak your CPU individually from your RAM. you can raise the baseclock (but don't do that) or tweak the multiplier. for example, lets say you got a i5 2500k, a 3.2GHz CPU. your baseclock is 100MHz and your multiplier is 32x. 100x32=3200MHz. you can tweak the multiplier by .5 increments. so the next step up would be 32.5x which would be 3250MHz. if you aren't entirely sure how to overclock, read on.

if you are going to overclock your CPU make sure you watch the heat with coretemp, stress the CPU with prime 95 and turn off turbo boost technology because it will interfere with your OC. edit: i accidentally hit submit. :lol:  anyway. what you should do is set the multiplier to lets say 42x which puts you at 4200MHz. try to boot into windows and if you make it that far at default voltage, max out your CPU with prime 95. if windows crashes and you get the BSoD, raise your voltage a tiny bit and repeat the process until your CPU is stable. if you want to raise your OC, repeat the process again. i would recommend getting a aftermarket CPU cooler because stock coolers aren't that great for OCing.

as for RAM, like i said, isn't effected while tweaking CPU multiplier. although i have never OC'd RAM before because my last motherboard didn't support it. my new i7 3770k build will though, and i will finally get to play around with RAM. but i think 1600MHz RAM could OC to 2133 easily, but i'm not sure. i am certain that you could bring it up to 1866MHz. i just don't have a clue how to do it. look it up on youtube.
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 7:38:21 AM

Overclocking is dependant on the motherboard and the cpu. Some cpu's cant be overclocked as they have locked multipliers. Ram can also be overclocked, but overclocking the cpu does not necessarily mean the ram OC's with it.
overclocking is never 100% safe.
Overclocking ram past 1600mhz or even 1333, will give you little to nothing in real world performance benmefits. The only place it would give a performance increase is if your running an intecrated GPU that shares system ram, in which case your not only oc'ing the system ram, but the vram too.
m
l
Related resources
!