Sign in with
Your question

Thuban x6 in AM3 7 series chipset boards?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 3:16:15 PM

Am I starting to think it might not work in these boards. First AMD releases the new 890gx that says it officially supports the x6 brought up some doubt in my mind. Then on fudzilla today that have a article that shows the ES of x6 running. In the article is says AMD wanted to show that the chip runs on AM3 boards. The board pictured is a gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H.

I would be shocked if the older AM3 boards do not run the x6 but I am starting to get a hint of doubt. Anybody got more info on this? I really cant see a reason why the wouldn't work. Same TDP. Same core. Same socket....
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 5:24:52 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't make sense to not make them AM3 compatible. In fact, I remember reading the x6 will be AM2+/AM3 compatible.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 5, 2010 6:21:42 PM

IMO you should wait a little more, few months ago I read that AMD will release a socket AM3r2 in 2011, so , if that's tru you can see some news in this year.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 8:44:59 PM

Yeah they will probably release some bios updates to make the non-x6 certified boards work.

That sure is a good way to sell those new boards though if some older ones do support it. :) 

If not then uh ohs for all those people that were expecting to be able to.

Sorry I can't offer any real info but I'm near sure they will work on at least some (if not all) older am3 boards.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
March 5, 2010 8:54:14 PM

someguy7 said:
Am I starting to think it might not work in these boards. First AMD releases the new 890gx that says it officially supports the x6 brought up some doubt in my mind. Then on fudzilla today that have a article that shows the ES of x6 running. In the article is says AMD wanted to show that the chip runs on AM3 boards. The board pictured is a gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H.

I would be shocked if the older AM3 boards do not run the x6 but I am starting to get a hint of doubt. Anybody got more info on this? I really cant see a reason why the wouldn't work. Same TDP. Same core. Same socket....

Remotely modern AMD CPUs are chipset-agnostic since all AMD K8/K10 CPUs just connect to the chipset via a HT link. The thing that matters to the CPU is the socket and the BIOS support. Any Socket AM3 CPU should be able to work in any Socket AM3 board if the BIOS is updated to take that chip, regardless of the chipset in the board. The question you really are asking is "will the vendor of my 7-series chipset board update their BIOS to take the Phenom II X6 CPUs?" That depends on the vendor and I can't answer that question.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
March 5, 2010 8:56:44 PM

saint19 said:
IMO you should wait a little more, few months ago I read that AMD will release a socket AM3r2 in 2011, so , if that's tru you can see some news in this year.

AM3r2 will be "AM3+" and will be released along with the upcoming Bulldozer-based CPUs. Everything I've read so far says that AM3 -> AM3r2 will be like AM2 -> AM2r2 (AM2+). The r2 chips will work in the r1 socket but with some features possibly disabled. Whether an AM3r2 chip will work in a particular AM3 motherboard will depend on the vendor writing a new BIOS. Some will, some will not, just like with AM2 boards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2010 12:24:46 AM

Yeah I know that stuff MU. It's just after reading them articles about the new 890 boards combined with the fudzilla article it actually raised a doubt in my mind. The language reminds me very much of Intel cpus/chipsets.
m
l
March 21, 2010 5:40:04 AM

MU_Engineer said:
AM3r2 will be "AM3+" and will be released along with the upcoming Bulldozer-based CPUs. Everything I've read so far says that AM3 -> AM3r2 will be like AM2 -> AM2r2 (AM2+). The r2 chips will work in the r1 socket but with some features possibly disabled. Whether an AM3r2 chip will work in a particular AM3 motherboard will depend on the vendor writing a new BIOS. Some will, some will not, just like with AM2 boards.

i want to buy 'BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G' motherboard.please tell me whether it will be compatible with future amd processor(thuban & bulldozer bazed cpus)and whether biostar provides regular(or at times) bios updates to support new processors like them?
does asus offer those kind of updates for their motherboards?
m
l
March 21, 2010 8:10:24 AM

ajgo333 said:
i want to buy 'BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G' motherboard.please tell me whether it will be compatible with future amd processor(thuban & bulldozer bazed cpus)and whether biostar provides regular(or at times) bios updates to support new processors like them?
does asus offer those kind of updates for their motherboards?

We can only guess if it is compatible or not, though with AMD's trend of having backwards-compatible CPUs, I would say the AM3 boards are likely to support at least the Phenom II x6 CPUs. However, no one knows much about Bulldozer CPUs in terms of capability, so it's gonna be difficult to answer your questions. Most companies usually do a BIOS update for new CPUs, though they will most likely update the higher-end motherboards first before anything else.
m
l
March 21, 2010 2:55:17 PM

kokin said:
We can only guess if it is compatible or not, though with AMD's trend of having backwards-compatible CPUs, I would say the AM3 boards are likely to support at least the Phenom II x6 CPUs. However, no one knows much about Bulldozer CPUs in terms of capability, so it's gonna be difficult to answer your questions. Most companies usually do a BIOS update for new CPUs, though they will most likely update the higher-end motherboards first before anything else.

thank you for your answer
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:09:37 PM

ajgo333 said:
thank you for your answer

Np dude. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 1:53:06 AM

CooLWoLF said:
I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't make sense to not make them AM3 compatible. In fact, I remember reading the x6 will be AM2+/AM3 compatible.

thuban will b ddr3 only, thats how the tdp stayed within range

m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 22, 2010 4:30:38 AM

I say wait and see. If what xaira posted is true, that means Thuban will only support DDR3 since the DDR2s IMC would have been cut.

Once they get a sample out to the sites, we will know then.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 10:11:05 AM

all updated roadmaps show ddr3 only support, and imagine ive been going thru all the forums i know and "correcting" people, if it has ddr2 support then egg and my face will be in alignment. why would you lie to me amd, after all my obvious bias toward u?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 114 À AMD
March 22, 2010 11:10:08 PM

xaira said:
all updated roadmaps show ddr3 only support, and imagine ive been going thru all the forums i know and "correcting" people, if it has ddr2 support then egg and my face will be in alignment. why would you lie to me amd, after all my obvious bias toward u?

Well your signature is bound to cause some confusion when compared to your posts! And I'm afraid that jennyh is right. It is verified, Thulan will work in all AM3 sockets and in all AM2+ sockets as long as those AM2+ sockets support CPUs at 140W. They might need a BIOS upgrade but that's about it. AMD's glorious dedication to backwards-compatibility strikes again! :sol: 
http://www.giga-byte.ca/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_...
m
l
!