Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD question: Will my old HDD work on my new mobo?

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2011 12:24:22 PM

Hello,
I just got my build gaming pc with only 60 GB SSD storage. So i was wondering if i can pull my old desktop HDD and plug it in my new mobo, will it work?

My old desktop HDD:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB

My new mobo:
Asus Maximus Xtreme Z

Thanks!

Best solution

a c 82 G Storage
December 11, 2011 12:51:33 PM

Yes it will.
December 11, 2011 12:56:32 PM

So i just plug in the power and sata? and it will work?
m
l
Related resources
a c 82 G Storage
December 11, 2011 1:34:45 PM

It's that simple, but make sure that the boot order is correct after connecting it, i.e., your SSD should still be the boot drive.
m
l
December 12, 2011 1:21:41 AM

How can i do that?
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
December 12, 2011 1:28:14 AM

Verify it in the BIOS. You just built the system; therefore I presume that you already know how to configure the boot order (DVD, HD) as you probably had to do it. In the list of hard disks (previously it only contained the SSD), you should now see 2 drives. Just make sure that the SSD is the first drive. You need to do that only if the system doesn't boot from the SSD after installing the old hard disk.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2011 5:18:42 PM

Your boot order won't matter if your hard drive is the only bootable device. This means that if you don't have a DVD in the drive or a USB drive plugged, the BIOS will most likely boot from the hard drive.

I doubt that your BIOS is configured to omit the hard disk in its boot list.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
December 13, 2011 5:22:43 PM

cirdecus said:
Your boot order won't matter if your hard drive is the only bootable device. This means that if you don't have a DVD in the drive or a USB drive plugged, the BIOS will most likely boot from the hard drive.

I doubt that your BIOS is configured to omit the hard disk in its boot list.
The SSD is the boot disk and the old hard disk will be added, but it shouldn't become the boot disk.
m
l
September 12, 2012 11:49:33 AM

Best answer selected by seaarmy.
m
l
!