Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing Motherboard.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2010 3:19:40 AM

Hello forum. I been wanting to build a computer for a while now but I get confused when it comes to motherboards, there's so many out there. What I'm basically looking for is a mobo that supports AMD Phenom II X6 1055T and can dual SLI, what would you guy's recommend for that?, i'm not looking for anything else specific other than those two things, any tips on something i should be concerned about besides that?. I'll be making this a gaming computer so let me know what you guys recommend for this.

-Thanks in advance

More about : choosing motherboard

a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 6:37:23 AM

The MSI NF980-G65 is what you would be looking for, otherwise if you want to save a bit of $, the NF750-G55. You may need to flash your BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 6:54:42 AM

As said the MSI is a good option for you.
m
l
July 20, 2010 7:14:25 AM

Recently built a system with one of those new military certified msi boards, was the quickest build I've ever done. went together perfectly.

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking you get more for your money on the new MSI boards because of their effort to come back on some bad boards that earned them a bad reputation in the past.. so I've heard.

This is the one I used:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$100 dollars, military certified, AM3, Crossfire ready

Probably the best deal you can find imo
I'll probably pick up another one for myself (other one was for a customer) just because of how stable and easy it was. I don't have an AMD system right now
m
l
July 21, 2010 5:37:13 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was looking at the MSI Motherboards and like some of you mentioned the MSI NF980-G65, just wondering also is there something around this price range that would have usb 3.0? or is this mobo pretty much a good deal? if i considered getting AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, would the MSI NF980-G65 still be a good buy?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 8:24:05 AM

Despite the brand name, the main considerations are:

- chipset: the latest one is (usually) always a better option, I think the FX version would suit you, since you're not even thinking about using the onboard graphics
- components: solid capacitors, military grade, overclockability resistance, supported CPU TDP (MOST IMPORTANT!), etc. Make sure you know exactly the hardware's "physical strength"
- features: USB3, eSATA, PCIEx16 ports, BIOS flashing difficulty,etc. All this to simplify your installation and troubleshooting. Crossfire with only one GPU slot is impossible, now would it?
- support: warranty, service, RMA. These factors varies between countries. You know your place better than anyone, so make sure you have reassurance from the manufacturer in your country. Better safe than sorry

I think that's all there is to it (and all that I know...hahaha). Just remember that building a gaming rig is more difficult than conventional setups (duh!). PSUs, cases, RAMs and especially graphic cards are also key factors in building a gaming PC. Reading reviews would be a good way in determining your "lock-on" target (what's that suppose to mean?..lol). But I guess you'd know that by now. Good luck on the project!
m
l
July 21, 2010 8:52:06 AM

It is useless to spend extra money for features that you are not going to use.And MSI generally makes good boards.
m
l
July 21, 2010 9:53:03 AM

phenom 1090t and 1055 both overclock to 4ghz.and you main point is gaming!!!i show in benchmark that overclocking cpu in gaming has not noticeable Affection!!!if you want to pay 300$ buy core i7 930 or core i7 875k!!
no,no usb3 and sata 3 6gb/s.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 11:28:50 AM

Tamz_msc said:
It is useless to spend extra money for features that you are not going to use.And MSI generally makes good boards.

I was just pointing out to sort what kind of features he wants, not recommending the whole thing only to find out that it's not gonna be used. That's why I recommend the FX series, since onboard graphics is out of the question. Money is always one of the main considerations, even on the enthusiasts' level
m
l
July 21, 2010 10:45:12 PM

Asus
P5N-D
this is best for sli n nt so much costly.
features are following
compatible with
Intel Socket 775 Core 2 Quad/Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo/Pentium Extreme/Pentium D/Pentium 4 Processors
Compatible with Intel 05B/05A/06 processors
Support Intel 45nm 1333/1066/800 MHzCPU

Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 800/667/533 NonECC,Unbuffered Memory
Audio
8channel HD audio (High Definition Audio,
Video
NVIDIA SLI Technology

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16
Support two identical NVIDIA SLIReady graphics card
m
l
July 22, 2010 5:03:24 AM

Younasqureshi said:
Asus
P5N-D
this is best for sli n nt so much costly.
features are following
compatible with
Intel Socket 775 Core 2 Quad/Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo/Pentium Extreme/Pentium D/Pentium 4 Processors
Compatible with Intel 05B/05A/06 processors
Support Intel 45nm 1333/1066/800 MHzCPU

Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 800/667/533 NonECC,Unbuffered Memory
Audio
8channel HD audio (High Definition Audio,
Video
NVIDIA SLI Technology

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16
Support two identical NVIDIA SLIReady graphics card

Why are you recommending a motherboard with a socket that has no future?
m
l
!