Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Liquid cooling -GTX 480 help!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 13, 2012 7:25:14 AM

So I am buying a new computer soon and we have finally decided on a not quite good computer, but decent enough to play what it needs to.

I kind of have a problem, because I am buying a GTX 480 (for $200) off of Newegg, and although it is the best card (by far) to get for that money I am kind of scared of it because of the extreme temperatures that it (reportedly) goes up to whenever you play.

Here are/will be my specs:

Monitor(s):

2x Hanns 5ms Widescreen LED-Backlit LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 X-Contrast 30,000,000:1 (800:1) Built-in Speakers
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Desktop specs:

Model: Gamer Extreme NE955i

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770k 3.5GHz 64 bit Quad-Core Processor 8MB L3 Cache

Memory: 16GB DDR3 1333 (4GB x 4)

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA III

SSD: either;
OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0230 PCI-E 230GB 4 x PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
or
OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0050 PCI-Express x4 50GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical Drive: 24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Graphics card: EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Audio: 7.1 Channels

Power Supply: 600W

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Special Features:
NZXT PHANTOM 410 GAMING CASE WHITE
iBuypower Custom Liquid Cooling

Motherboard Name: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H

Dimensions: 20.9" x 20.3" x 8.5"

So bottom line this does (apparently) come with liquid cooling for (I assume) the CPU. This takes care of that, however I still (probably) need liquid cooling for the GTX 480 since I have yet to find anything that works better, and in theory and in tests the liquid-cooled GTX 480 should use a bit less watts while standing by, and noticeably less while running at full capacity.

I need some help! I also realize I may need to change my power supply because 600W does not seem sufficient for the GTX 480, however if possible I would like to not do that since I am already close to $300 over my budget for this machine and do not aim to go much higher.

Also; if you have a different idea to cool the GTX 480, please tell me! I am open to any type of cooling that is shown to work, but so far I have seen that fans do not make the heat dissipate fast enough, so I would be stuck with a super high temperature for my video card.

I guess I should tell you guys what I aim to be able to do with this machine too- I want to be able to play Creative Assembly's Rome II Total War at Ultra for everything once it comes out in late 2013. This should approximately be the same as Shogun 2 Total War at ultra settings too.

More about : liquid cooling gtx 480

a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 7:33:55 AM

you dont need to physically use liquid cooling for a gpu, an aftermarket heatsink is fine, though doing so WILL void your warranty on the product.
July 13, 2012 7:37:59 AM

dudewitbow said:
you dont need to physically use liquid cooling for a gpu, an aftermarket heatsink is fine, though doing so WILL void your warranty on the product.

First time putting together a PC, so I must seem like the world's stupidest person, but I must ask, what exactly is an "aftermarket heatsink" and do you mean IT will void the warranty or the LC will?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 7:42:02 AM

hrath said:
First time putting together a PC, so I must seem like the world's stupidest person, but I must ask, what exactly is an "aftermarket heatsink" and do you mean IT will void the warranty or the LC will?

once you remove the reference cooler off the gpu, the warranty usually becomes null as most problems afterword are most likely due to users mistake and not the card itself.

These would be fan/heatsink replacements for aftermarket cooling
July 13, 2012 7:43:38 AM

dudewitbow said:
once you remove the reference cooler off the gpu, the warranty usually becomes null as most problems afterword are most likely due to users mistake and not the card itself.

These would be fan/heatsink replacements for aftermarket cooling

Okay :) 
in the morning when I am actually *mostly* awake I will try and figure out if this will work; for now I will leave it open for any more ideas you guys have ;) 
July 13, 2012 7:53:53 AM

EVGA doesn't void your warranty for using an aftermarket HSF, you just need to keep the stock heatsink incase you ever need to RMA.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 7:57:19 AM

lycros said:
EVGA doesn't void your warranty for using an aftermarket HSF, you just need to keep the stock heatsink incase you ever need to RMA.

checking the EVGA site just now, i can confirm this
July 13, 2012 8:37:44 AM

Well if you ever RMA anything they just tell you to put the original hsf back on, they even have a video :) 
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 1:04:34 PM

EVGA will also allow you to RMA a card even if it's been damaged by a watercooling leak.

Best solution

a c 205 K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 1:31:36 PM

Why don't you just run the 480GTX as is, first, and see how it works out for you before getting concerned it will run too hot, we have members that have overclocked it using a stock cooler, so just worry about a problem when you actually have one.

No Offense! Ryan
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 1:50:41 PM

^ Quite true. If you have no real intentions or desires to watercool, then why try to find reasons? Good case airflow and a maintained cooler should be fine. If you are worried, pull the stock cooler, replace the pasty factory thermal paste with some good TIM, re-install the cooler and you should easily see a bit of temp improvement at load.
July 13, 2012 3:19:24 PM

Best answer selected by Hrath.
!