M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CASE
CM Storm Trooper Case

CPU
Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz Socket 1366 8MB L3 Cache Bloomfield 45nm Technology 41 °C

RAM
G-Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz (actual 1866Mhz) RipjawsZ X79 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V (9-9-9-28)

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X58-G1-SNIPER X58 Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard 30 °C

Cooling
Corsair H100 Liquid cooler

Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card 38 °C
Gigabyte GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E 31 °C
ForceWare version 301.42 SLI Enabled

Hard Drives
233GB Western Digital WDC WD2500BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device (SATA) 23 °C
223GB OCZ 120GB Agility 3 (FUJITSU MARVELL) Raid VD 0 SCSI Disk Device (RAID)

Optical Drives
LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive

Audio
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

I have managed to get the processor up to 4.02Ghz with these settings bu they are unstable
CPU Vcore : 1.35
CPU PLL : 1.88
CPU QPI : 1.35
Dram : 1.66
Load line calibration : Standard
Turbo boost : Disabled
BCLK : 175
CPU Multi : X23
Ram : 1866 Mhz (Dual)

Can any one advise as this is driving me mad :pt1cable:
I have made an effort and studied many of the guides but due the the abundance of different names for the bios settings it makes it a little difficult to understand.

I would ultimate like to use my ram at its full potential of 2133Mhz yes I know this will be a task as the CPU is not compliant with such high speed ram. I am not after super high clocks as this cooler becomes way too loud on the highest settings, but 4ghz is fine with me to give me that little extra performance.

Many thanks and if you need any more info just ask.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Yes it is the BSOD, temperatures are quite low at 36oC idle stock speed and when I did push it to say 3.5Ghz they held up at 55oC when running Prime95.

What are your other settings for LLC?

Have you tried other variants of 4ghz, i.e. 190x21 , 200x20 ?

Now this may sound stupid but my OC used to fail with too much voltage on cpu and qpi.

I read guides that guaranteed 4ghz OC's and recommended 1.35v, no, managed stability @1.275v..

And I'm assuming 1.66v is the recommended voltage that you have manually set in bios.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I have tired Load line calibration at Intel standard spec and also at level one & Level two.
I am now wondering if the voltage drop may help with this system stability and will no doubt give it a go.
The 1.66V voltage for my Ram is the G-Skill recommended for the modules (1.65V to be precise)

I would also try some different multiples of getting to your 4ghz.

Have you checked the different load voltages with the different LLC settings?

Speedstep and spread spectrums disabled?

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Have you checked the different load voltages with the different LLC settings?

I have not as yet checked these settings (The other half is using the PC)
So thats my tweaking done till Monday lol

Speedstep and spread spectrums disabled?

Can you explain what alternative meanings the speedstep and spread spectrum is as I cannot match it to any thing in my Motherboard bios (Award F1)

Spread Spectrum

bios04.png

Speedstep, think it may be EIST in your bios

bios05-1.png

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I do not have a feature called a Spread spectrum, as per the picture you show, I shall have to take a snap shot of my Bios and post them on here.

I do have a Eist in my bios, dam manufactures why cant they choose a standard name for these things.

Thanks again for the help it is truly appreciated by me.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Yes that is my exact Bios details, now why did I not think of looking up a review with the bios pictures :D!
So i hope we can move forward from this and get this system up and running at its peak.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Has any one got some base settings I can try and from that work around as the ones I am using appears to not be very effective?

CPU Vcore : 1.25
CPU PLL : Auto
CPU QPI : 1.25
Dram : 1.66
Load line calibration : Standard
Turbo boost : Disabled
BCLK : 190
CPU Multi : X21
Ram : 1866 Mhz (Dual) (should be slightly slower with 190 base clk)
EIST - disabled
Spread spectrum - disabled
Ram voltage - set manually
Ram timings - set manually 9-9-9-24 (or whatever your settings should be)

What are your other LLC options?

I'd start there then if unstable bump up your Vcore and QPI .05v until you get stability.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Thanks for your patience with me and I shall try those settings.

LLC options are:

Auto, Standard (Intel Spec), Level 1 (slight Vdroop) Level 2 (moderate Vdroop)
I was researching and found a comment that advised level 2 for most overclocks.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Tried the settings as given above and all failed to boot with just a repetitive cycle of trying to boot and failing.
I pushed the QPI up to 1.500V and the CPU Vcore to 1.500V and was a little worried to take these any further, was I right to stop there or should I have gone on?

It looks like I have a ah heck of a chip to overclock! Thanks to all that are helping

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
CPU Vcore: 1.35V
CPU PLL: 1.8V
CPU Qpi/Dram: 1.35V
Dram voltage: 1.66V
Disable Load line calibration
Disable Turbo boost
Disable Eist
Bclk frequency: 175
CPU multiplier: 23
QPI Data rate: lowest setting

Be sure your Ram is set at or below 1866.

These settings over a chance as I have managed to get the system to boot to Windows but it remains unstable when I run Prime95 any ideas on what to tweak?

General overclocking

Reduce ram speed to below spec
Set ram voltage manually
Set vcore and qpi to 1.25v
Enable llc
QPI date lowest
Disable turbo
Disable EIST

Everything else auto

Set your cpu to a low setting like x15

Bump up your base clock until you have problems to see what your board is happy running at.

Once you find a steady speed, for example 200, start upping your multiplier on your cpu until it becomes unstable.

So you know have an idea what your board will do on 1.25v.

Then you need to start upping your multiplier or bclk some more, try multiplier if possible, just increase cpu vcore to gain stability.

Then dependeing on your new settings you need to sort out your ram speeds, this could involve an increase in your qpi, and therefore an increase in qpi voltage.

Overclocking can take days or weeks to really sort out but instead of just going straight for 4ghz I think you should start at the beginning and work your way up.

This way when you get a failure after changing a setting you have more of an idea as to what it could be.

Time consuming but worth the effort.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
It sure does take time and patience, I am going to spend a good bit of time on it tomorrow and see where I can get too.
Yes its fun but frustrating when the CPU offers a glimmer of hope and then snatches it back from you at the very last second lol.

Wait till you try to get it 100% stable at 100% load for 24/7/365 operation.

M6ORN

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I am going to give up at this time as this chip is driving me mad! I can not get it to be stable at all and I have followed the advice and then written the details down for tweak. Mind you I must say I have never maxed this system out at any point yet! Thanks again for all the help and advice it is really appreciated. John