Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thermaltake frio or phanteks ph-tc14pe

Last response: in Overclocking
July 13, 2012 5:07:07 PM

Which one of these is better in terms of noise and performance. I will want to overclock my i5-3570k to about 4.5-4.6 ghz. If there is another, better cooler, it will have to either be red, white, black or a mixture of these in order to not ruin my theme build. FYI, the frio got a 98% on frostytech site, while the phanteks got a 89%. BUT, at high rpm fan speed, the phanteks is much quieter, while the frio sounds like a jet engine.However, at low rpm fan speed, the frio is silent while only being a bit warmer than the phanteks. OR, as a last resort, I could buy the noctua-d14(90%) or c-14(97%) or the thermalright silver arrow sb-e and paint them. Thank you for your suggestions. PS: My case will be the Cooler Master Storm Stryker, so there is plenty of space.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 5:27:08 PM

If you've already been to FrostyTech, you've been to the only dedicated cooler review site that I've ever found. Other website do reviews as well, but none are as recent/thorough in their comparisons as FT (from what I can tell).

This is the very latest chart from Frosty, and it shows that on the LGA1155 platform that the Phanteks is much quieter than the Frio. So the only other option I see to that would be the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, which is kind of blue. Mostly black though - so if you're really trying to maintain the aesthetics, get the Phanteks. It's even got $20 off right now!
Related resources
July 13, 2012 5:37:34 PM

Yeah I've looked at the H100 as well, but I need to replace the fans for it to be quiet. But it costs 100$ or more plus the cost of 2 fans that's going to run me about 150$(I'm from Canada), so yeah unfortunately it's only air cooling for me.
m
l
July 13, 2012 5:41:42 PM

I've also found the NH-C14 variant from phanteks, the PH-TC14CS and it also comes in colors. Unfortunately, frostytech did not do a review on it so I have no idea how it compares to the double tower coolers.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 5:45:00 PM

Well all I keep hearing (scuse the pun) is how loud the H100 is.

Mine is currently set on medium profile keeping my 4.8ghz 2600k under or around 60C and yes I can hear it but nothing drastic.

I can set it to lower speeds and it bumps the cpu up to 65C but its quiet.

I would imagine it could handle your predicted OC quite easily without too much disruption.

The Phanteks seems pretty cool (pun again) but I am just put off massive coolers adding stress to my mobo.
m
l
July 13, 2012 5:53:16 PM

beanoslim said:
Well all I keep hearing (scuse the pun) is how loud the H100 is.

Mine is currently set on medium profile keeping my 4.8ghz 2600k under or around 60C and yes I can hear it but nothing drastic.

I can set it to lower speeds and it bumps the cpu up to 65C but its quiet.

I would imagine it could handle your predicted OC quite easily without too much disruption.

The Phanteks seems pretty cool (pun again) but I am just put off massive coolers adding stress to my mobo.

I've never heard of a noctua nh-d14, which is big, bent a mobo. A GPU is just as heavy as a big air cooler, yet people don't complain about their mobo being bent when they have quad-sli. Most if not all of the weight of the cooler is supported by the case, and the Storm Stryker is a high quality case. Did you have any experience with the phanteks PH-TC14CS?
m
l
July 13, 2012 6:03:12 PM

Well looks like the big dual tower phanteks is the winner after looking at some more reviews. I will either get the white, red or black edition. Thank you all.
m
l
July 13, 2012 6:03:14 PM

Best answer selected by LonelyMan.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 7:04:34 PM

Ok, you buy that big assed cooler :lol: 

Hope it works out for you.
m
l