After install of 2nd SSD puter wants to boot from CD

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
New build on EVGA 58 certified 3 Mobo and updated to newest BIOS. BIOS set to ACHI for hard drives. Installed Windows 7 64 bit on Intel 510 series SSD (120GB). Everything appears to be working well.

Installed 2nd Intel series SSD (120GB) last PM. Drive recognized in BIOS but not in Windows. Right clicked on computer and used "Manage", selected "Storage", "Disk Management" then clicked on new drive and "Initialized" it. Rebooted computer and drive available in windows.

Installed DOOM3 on new SSD (yes, old game) and it worked. Shut down computer. Turned computer on, all working well. Went to play DOOM3 and was asked to insert DOOM3 Disk 1. Did as requested. Able to play game without problems. Shut down computer.

This morning I turned on computer, during boot sequence received "Insert system disk in CD and boot from CD". I disconnected newest SSD from computer and was able to boot successfully. Now if I have 2nd SSD online cannot boot into Windows. I have switched power and data cables between old and new ssd's with same results.

Left power plug to newest SSD plugged in and was able to boot into windows. Plugging data cable into the drive brings it online.

What should I do to correct this issue.

Thank you

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Yes, first SSD I installed is listed in BIOS as primary boot device. DVD drive is listed as secondary.

All was well untill I installed DOOM3. I have uninstalled DOOM3 and edited the registry to remove all references to DOOM3. Do not know if I created the problem when I installed DOOM3 or that is coincidental.

Thank you for your time.

John

rsinj

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Maybe I'm asking the obvious question here, but did you remove the CD from the drive?

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Sorry, should have said in my post "no cd's in the puter". Good thought tho.

I just tried booting with Windows 7 install disk. Computer will boot into installation of Windows; however, I do not want to re-install windows. Do not believe this is the problem.

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Well here is a "DUH". You were correct. I checked the boot sequence several times. Finally received a head-slap and CHANGED the sequence...put newest drive as first boot device. Booted computer and it WORKED. All is well. Thanks for the help. Knew this thing was simple.

TRENDING THREADS