Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z77-M PRO max. cooler size

Last response: in Overclocking
July 13, 2012 9:14:43 PM

Hello,

does anybody know the size of the space in which cpu cooler will be installed to on p8z77-m pro??
And secondly, please feel free to suggest a cooler(air at this point) if you know good, QUIET ones. Oh, the max. height of the cooler should be no more than 70mm / 2,75 inches!

Specs:
CPU - 3570k @ stock or mild OC
CASE - Silverstone GD04 with 3 intake 120mm case fans

I read from somewhere that Big Shuriken 2 rev B, Scythe Kozuti or cooler master gemini II m4 are viable candidates for me...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 3:45:42 AM

what ram do you have, if it's high profile like corsair vengance, it will block the first ram port.. the Big Shuriken 2 rev B

edit:your probably not going to get a good cooler that low profile tbh
July 14, 2012 10:06:54 AM

memory is standard size amd performance edition 1600mhz cl8. Only have 2 sticks so then losing one port doesn't matter... Did some more reading and now it's between shuriken 2 rev b and noctua nh-l 12 . The latter is only 66mm when the second (top) fan is removed and it is supposed to deliver better cooling than shuriken 2 even without the top fan..

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1270-page7.html

Only concern is that will it fit into the mobo...

Thanks for your input!!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2012 6:42:54 PM

it will work, just make sure to get low profile ram if you want to upgrade to 4 sticks
July 16, 2012 10:02:27 PM

So, I got the mobo. Now waiting for the cooler (noctua NH-L12). I will post my detailed experiences as soon as I get it up and running in case someone else might be interested... Thanks to nna2 for collaborating :) 
July 19, 2012 8:36:09 PM

naama said:
So, I got the mobo. Now waiting for the cooler (noctua NH-L12). I will post my detailed experiences as soon as I get it up and running in case someone else might be interested... Thanks to nna2 for collaborating :) 

Hi naama,

I'm also looking at putting the noctua NH-L12 in p8z77-m pro. Did it fit okay? did you need to get low-profile memory?

Thanks!
July 19, 2012 9:36:35 PM

Hello naptunian.

It fits very well for my purposes. It can be installed in a way that it doesn't block more than one ram port (as nn2 stated above) even if you switch the 120mm fan to be in the lower heatsink "slot". One thing to notice is that at least for me the upper 92mm fan seemed a bit loud. High pitch irritating sound. It doesn't matter for me since I won't be using it because my case won't allow it. I haven't actually installed the cooler yet to the mobo since it takes at least one more week for my case to arrive. I will post more experiences once I get it all up and running. Feel free to ask if something arises.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2012 11:06:52 PM

nna2* :p 

on most heat syncs that can block the first slot, the manufacturer will make the fan adjustable to some extent so it can be avoided
August 24, 2012 12:39:42 PM

I have the Asus P8Z77-M Pro also and I have run into a problem mid buid - My cpu cooler comes with a backplate that goes on the back of the board to give it a more secure fitting but it won't fit as there is a metal plate already there on the back of the cpu socket - do I fit the cooler without the backplate ? Any help appreciated - Thank's.

Cooler is Silverstone NT06-e (shrowd reversed with 140mm fan mounted underside blowing upwards - I know this cooler has had bad review's, but that's because the dum dum reviewers mount it on a vertical mobo and it's not engineered to be used that way )
January 3, 2013 5:49:31 AM

naama said:
Hello naptunian.

It fits very well for my purposes. It can be installed in a way that it doesn't block more than one ram port (as nn2 stated above) even if you switch the 120mm fan to be in the lower heatsink "slot". One thing to notice is that at least for me the upper 92mm fan seemed a bit loud. High pitch irritating sound. It doesn't matter for me since I won't be using it because my case won't allow it. I haven't actually installed the cooler yet to the mobo since it takes at least one more week for my case to arrive. I will post more experiences once I get it all up and running. Feel free to ask if something arises.

Hi Naama,

Any updates on the coolor clearance from the ram? I actually have the same board and a pair of Dominator Platinums. I was also thinking of getting the same cooler.

Thanks,
Ace
!