Sign in with
Your question

The Geforce 9600GT Question and Info

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2009 11:20:16 PM

Ok:

So I just got the XFX Geforce 9600 512mb for Christmas and:

#1: I love it: Even with a P4 3.2 Ghz (P4=Pentium 4) it runs like a champ. I’m able to MAX OUT ALL OF MY SETTINGS ON MOST GAMES!!!

My Games:

WoW - Wasn’t able to get the full settings but pretty near to it…

Supreme Commander – Maxed

Command And Conquer III Timberium Wars- Maxed

Star Trek Legacy – Maxed

Star Wars Battlefront II – Maxed

Star Wars KOTOR I and II – Maxed

Star Wars Empire At War I and Expansion Set – Maxed

LOTR Battle for Middle Earth I and II – Maxed

Microsoft Flight Simulator X – Almost maxed with perfect frame rates… And im really picky about frame rates…

Age of Mythology – Maxed

Civilization IV- Maxed

My Rig:

Dell Dimension e510
Pentuim 4 3.2 Ghz
3 gigs of RAM
A total of 1 TB of Hard Drive Space
500-Watt Power Supply
120 MM Fan
And of course the 9600GT

Now I know that none of these are super demanding games such as some of the new releases. The frame rates on all of the settings above were at least at 40 (I sorta like it around 34) and most were above. So my point is: Don’t upgrade any further than the 9600GT unless you will be doing some serious gaming with the settings maxed out on the new and future games. I know that some of you like the fact that you can brag about having a better video card… Is it worth 400-1000$ if you want to SLI the GTX 295? Really? Is it really worth it? That’s up to you, but for what I know and want I’m not going any further than the 9600GT.

#2 I’m used the passive cooling Geforce 7300LE so I’m not sure if 65-70C is normal or hot hot hot for what I’m used to: This baby runs really hot. The older driver (not sure which one) helps it run about 60C even on Supreme Commander and Flight Simulator.

#3 I can’t get the HD playback to run smooth. DVD’s run smooth and nice but when I try any HD file it just wont want to play smooth… With my old Geforce 7300LE the HD test files from Microsoft would run smooth… Not with this Card. And the problem is widespread on the internet… The strangest thing is it cant be my CPU because it only went to 100% on Windows Task Manager once… On average it hits about 50% but can range anywhere from 20-60%. So what is the cause? It cant be my PSU because one its brand new and two all my games play great with maxed out settings….

Another thing is I’ve tried all codecs that I can find with no luck. Tried changing the card driver to the older ones, beta ones, and the current one with no luck…

So: If you don’t plan to watch HD movies (and Heck there might be a fix for it…) this is a great card! You cant go wrong with it.

December 27, 2009 12:08:49 AM

yep, it's a good card. I've been happy with my as well. Runs all the new games just fine at 1680x1050. Your HD movie playback may be due to CPU restrictions.
m
l
December 27, 2009 12:14:15 AM

Im also having troubles with the drivers... They wont let me download the new one and Cucusoft DVD to Video Ultimate is having problems... it keeps giving me a Just in time Debug error... Dont know what this means PLEASE HELP hehe
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2009 12:15:42 AM

1rst your card is an overkill for these games ( espesially when playing at 19 in. monitor or lower ) you would have gone with nvidia 8600 or ati 2600, 2nd i have ati 4670, which is as good as 9600gt ( even better at some newer games like dragon age origins, amra 2, hawx......), and it costs 70 % the price of the 9600gt and works fine with all my videos ( even it enhances youtube videos quality ), so if you can turn it and get 4670 ( and save the difference or even get 4770 ( with nealy the price of 9600gt with double the performance ) this will be much better for you, it is even not limited by processor power as i used to have core 2 duo 1.86 and it was fine with every thing on vista x64.
m
l
December 27, 2009 12:32:59 AM

MMMM Im running a 24"er... lol So i think ill keep it since i plan to move the 9600 over to a new gaming rig im making... Just cant get the drivers to work fine heh.
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:04:41 AM

i have a friend with hd 4670 and he can play most games with maximum settings at 1980x1050 ( 24in. moitor ) even with 4x AA, and i think 9600gt will be fine too ( but with no AA at some games ), i only have 19in. monitor :) 
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:37:37 AM

Lol, speak overkill to ME. Got a 5770 with a 1440*900 19 inch monitor lol. But yes, you should pay for what you need/want. Some like to get 100+ FPS and future-prooveness; some don't mind turning some settings down, some like 8x AA, and so on.
I was really happy with my GF 8600 a few months ago, just upgraded cause I like all my games maxed out lol.
And the 4670 is not faster than the 9600, it might be on par in some games but I've seen the 9600 beat it in many benchies.
m
l
December 27, 2009 3:05:02 AM

I just like saying i maxed the settings... lol

MMMM i just thought of one last question:

Comparing the 9600 and the GTX 295 lets say... Ok so im playing Supreme Commander maxed out with both cards... Will one look better than the other even though the settings are the same? Or would it just be a fps thing...
m
l
December 27, 2009 3:07:22 AM

Oh btw all my games... AA doesnt change anything (yes i know it smooths jagged edges... lol) is it because the card already does it? I mean it helps some but copmared to my other card turning it up just doesnt change anything...
m
l
December 27, 2009 3:37:24 AM

sanchz said:
Lol, speak overkill to ME. Got a 5770 with a 1440*900 19 inch monitor lol. But yes, you should pay for what you need/want. Some like to get 100+ FPS and future-prooveness; some don't mind turning some settings down, some like 8x AA, and so on.
I was really happy with my GF 8600 a few months ago, just upgraded cause I like all my games maxed out lol.
And the 4670 is not faster than the 9600, it might be on par in some games but I've seen the 9600 beat it in many benchies.

yes and i have seen 4670 on par with 8800gt in lots of games, dragon age origins, left 4 dead, amra 2, ghostbusters, mirrors edge ( no physx both), risen, gears of war dx10, mass effect, rainbow vegas, bioshock, company of heroes dx10, hawx, stalker cleasr sky dx10, assassins creed ( before patching), call of juarez dx10 and i have seen it defeated from 9600gt in borderlands, last remnant, and some older engines like battlefield 2142 and wolfenestein ( doom3 engine ) which doesnt matter as older engines play good on any cheap card now.

i have forgotten 9600gt defeats 4670 by 20-30 % in all 3dmark benchmarks :)  doesnt matter though what matter is games :D  .
m
l
December 27, 2009 3:39:39 AM

gidgiddonihah said:
Oh btw all my games... AA doesnt change anything (yes i know it smooths jagged edges... lol) is it because the card already does it? I mean it helps some but copmared to my other card turning it up just doesnt change anything...

the worst case for 9600gt at 1900x1200 maybe crysis which will continue to play at this reslution with high and 2 or 3 options medium ( excluding shaders which is most important option in crysis and it will be left at high :)  ), any game else will play high ( maybe ultra ) with or without AA according to its engine ( at 30+ frames avarage unless you need 60 frames, any way 30 frames in standard for x360 and ps3 and games are designed around this number :D  )
m
l
December 27, 2009 3:49:21 AM

by the way dont trust all net reviews numbers as lots of them are not correct and i have tried it my salf and in some cases i found my 4670 scoring the same like 4850 and some cases better than 3870 ( and i am not a magician i think ).
m
l
!