Have replaced the HD of a Dell XPS with an SATA HD. PC comes up with a offer to

jimar1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Have replaced the HD(XP) of an Old Dell XPS PC with an 80G, SATA, Seagate HD with XP already installed. PC(DEll) comes up with offer, to use F1 or F2(Settings). Using F2 provides offer to change BIOS? Which BIOS setting require change??
Thanks,
Jim

jimar1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

The SATA drive is from and old HP/XP system... the new PC is a DELL/(was XP as well).

In most cases, a boot drive from one type of system will not boot in another type of system. There are all kinds of low-level settings and drivers that will not be compatible. For example, if the old system had a Waxworks 5000 disk controller (yes, that is nonsense) and the new one has a Digistream 73, then the system will not be able to read from the disk to boot.

There are assorted ways to correct these drivers. However, if the old system came with XP installed, this is outside of the licensing agreement with Microsoft and should not be done.

If you have an XP distribution disc and license, you can try booting to the distribution disc and choosing a Repair install. You would do better to do a re-install. You would do even better to buy a new, larger, faster drive if your budget allows.

jimar1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

---------------------------------------------
Thanks for the quick response.
have a 'Reinstallation CD' that came with the Dell PC.. On the CD is also says;
'Only use the CD to install te operating system on a Dell Compluter. This CD is not fo reinstallation of programs or drivers.'

I'm not interested in saving any files/programs on the installed HP HD, now on the Dell.
Think I should Boot fromt this CD?
Jimar1

jimar1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

------------------------
The replaced drive, that is the old HP HD/XP drive IS a SATA Drive I'm not sure about the other drive . . . Is this a show stopper if the old Dell drive wasnt also a SATA drive...??? And if it wasn't ... any suggestions required to use the HP drive wiich is a SATA drive?? .... The Replaced drive(HP HD) fit the old plug in that the dell drive came out of ... is this any solid indications of being the same drive types... SATA???
Thanks,

If it fits the same connectors, it should be the same type. Since you don't care about what's on that drive, give it a try. If it works, you are done.

I'm hazy on whether or not changing only the boot disk invalidates your OEM license. I suspect not; after all, you have to be able to replace a failed drive.