Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2010 12:13:30 PM

Hi guys I have got this PC to repair
Specs:-Intel 845 MB
Pentium 4 2GHz
128 MB DDR Memory
VGA Built-in
Sound Built in
Problems:- Does not boot up until you leave it with power still plugged in and switched on for about 15 mins.(Probably the CMOS Battery charges in this time)
Once it boots you can reboot it infinitely.Again once the power plug is removed
you have to wait for 15 mins before you can expect the computer to respond to the power button. What is this i am almost sure that it is a weak CMOS battery But...................I want clarification

More about : dying cmos battery

July 21, 2010 3:46:28 AM

ahmadumair said:
Hi guys I have got this PC to repair
Specs:-Intel 845 MB
Pentium 4 2GHz
128 MB DDR Memory
VGA Built-in
Sound Built in
Problems:- Does not boot up until you leave it with power still plugged in and switched on for about 15 mins.(Probably the CMOS Battery charges in this time)
Once it boots you can reboot it infinitely.Again once the power plug is removed
you have to wait for 15 mins before you can expect the computer to respond to the power button. What is this i am almost sure that it is a weak CMOS battery But...................I want clarification

I would just replace the cmos battery first and see if it solves the problem only costs you like 3-4 bucks. If that doesn't solve it check the power supply leads or buy a power supply tester and see if your PS is okay! Did this error happen all of a sudden? If yes I would say CMOS is the most common problem on an old system, does your date or bios settings reset in your bios?
m
l
July 21, 2010 4:44:01 AM

cmos battery replaced.no difference.time doesnt go back.yes this happened all of a sudden. i think it might be the case wiring. they work on any pin position.
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2010 12:04:15 PM

The Button or wiring to the case is bad your saying! I think you can a circuit board online for the power switch around 15 bucks or you can buy a new cheap case!
m
l
July 22, 2010 12:52:22 AM

Usually not a cmos battery, if its that it usually forgets its adjusted bios and defaults to factory settings, not the system not coming on.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2010 12:58:13 PM

Swap out power supply and see what happens.
August 15, 2010 7:31:21 AM

Gotcha!THE PSU was bad alright.It worked when swapped out.Curiousity forced me to figure out the problem with the PSU.Opened it and found a leaking capacitor!!
m
l
August 15, 2010 7:32:21 AM

Best answer selected by ahmadumair.
m
l
!