Sign in with
Your question

Can I use Dell Inspirion E1505 mobo in a tower case?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2010 12:55:43 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspirion E1505 laptop and the LCD screen is dead. Now I want to use the E1505 mobo in an Tower case to develop a NAS server (FreeNAS). I believe the stand offs on the mobo will not work in an ATX tower. Can anyone suggest alternative ways to use the processor and RAM to build a FreeNAS server?

The processor is a Core2 Duo. Are there ATX or Micro ATX motherboards to use this processor?

Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

k
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 1:10:55 PM

Of course. There are tons of mobo's you can use. Check out asus's and gigabyte's website. They have a selection tool which selects all LGA775 mobo's. That's your cpu's socket type. You only have to choose a chipset. I recommend the p45. Powerful and runs very cool.
What C2D cpu do you have and what ram? DDR2 or DDR3? This limits the mobo choice to as they are not compatible with each other.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 1:29:53 PM

I don't agree with Nils who probably missed the "I want to use the E1505 mobo in an Tower case" part of the post. Installing a laptop motherboard in a tower won't work unless you fit it and use the laptop's PSU, etc. How will you hook up the keyboard, hard disk, etc.?

Sell the broken laptop for parts and build a new system.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 2:07:40 PM

Thank you for replying. I believe it is a Core 2 Duo T5600 and a DDR2 memory. I will have to confirm that at the Dell site this evening. I am trying to reuse the processor. One of my friends has a tower case which I plan to use the laptop C2D and the new motherboard.

All these hoops for a FreeNAS server.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 2:11:48 PM

I did not miss the title of this thread but kleanchap already says in his first post that it is impossible to install the mobo in an atx case. So that's not the question anymore.

I admit however that my advice is not applicable here, as I thought his pc was a desktop and not a laptop.
So @ kleanchap again, you cannot use your cpu and ram on normal motherboard as it's a mobile cpu and ram. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

About the NAS server. Are only gonna use it for storage or also other things? If it's only for storage, you can buy these systems for lower prices then if you would build it yourself. They're actually not more than an external hard drive with a network connection.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 2:28:33 PM

I totally agree with your last post.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 4:23:52 PM

I ran into two products from asus that make it possible to use a mobile cpu as a desktop cpu. However I don't think they're easy to find, but anyway.

Link: http://www.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oS...

EDIT: Link didn't seem to work. Hit the 'Intel Mobile on Desktop' link in the page.
m
l
!