Complex Wireless home network

dipka

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hi all,

I been struggling with my network set up for the past couple of days and i would like some help on setting my network up.

Thanks,

Equipment:

1. Dynex DX-WEGRTR
http://www.dynexsupport.com/product/?pid=DX-WEGRTR
2.Linksys WRT150N with DD-WRT
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT150N
3.Netgear WGT624 v.4
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/WGT624.aspx
4. Paradyne ADSL router/modem (ISP's equipment)

4 laptops- 1 ps3- 1wii -1 xbox360 -1 desktop -1 AppleTv

So i think the jpg is quite clear however ill explain.

The dynex and the netgear are connected to the paradyne router/modem and the linksys has to be a wireless bridge so that i can connect the xbox360 similar to (http://www.universebot.com/2009/07/30/diy-use-a-linksys-router-as-a-xbox-360-wireless-adapter)

Things i want to accomplish:
1. have the study and the master bd laptop connected to the sdynex.
2. have the appletv connected to the dynex.
3. have the linksys connected as a bridge of the dynex so that i can connect the xbox 360 by Ethernet to the linksys.
4.have the laptop on br#3 connected to the linksys bridge wirelessly.
5. have the wii connected to the linksys bridge wirelessly.
6.have the desktop, ps3, and the laptop on room 4 connected to the netgear.

I know how to set up the electronics, i just need help with the wireless routers. I'm not sure if i need to go static vs dynamic ip, or how many routers should have DHCP enable or even NAT.

Thanks again.

wireless%20network.jpg

Solution
Oh, sure. I just assumed you had the Dynex there to replace the Paradyne as your primary router. Since I don’t even know the Paradyne model # or anything else about it, I’ll just assume it does NOT support wireless and uses the 192.168.1.x network. If it’s some other network, just make the necessary adjustments.

Paradyne:
Mode: Modem+Router
IP: 192.168.1.1
DHCP: Enabled

Dynex:
Mode: Router/AP
IP: 192.168.1.2
DHCP: Disabled
NOTE: Connect the Dynex to the Paradyne LAN to LAN, do NOT use the Dynex WAN port!

Linksys:
Mode: dd-wrt Repeater Bridge (NOT Repeater!)
IP: 192.168.1.3
DHCP: Disabled (automatically disabled by dd-wrt when bridged)

Netgear:
IP: 192.168.1.4
NOTE: Do NOT use the WAN port to connect...
Paradyne:
Mode: Bridge

Dynex:

Linksys:

Netgear:
NOTE: Do NOT use the WAN port to connect to Ethernet wall plug, use the LAN port! And obviously it should use a different wireless channel than the Dynex/Linksys (channels 1, 6, and 11 provide maximum separation).

The only router in this entire configuration that ever uses a WAN port is the Dynex (between itself the Paradyne modem). All devices now share the same 192.168.1.x network. I like all infrastructure devices to use a static IP beginning w/ 192.168.1.1 (the primary router) and moving up sequentially the farther away it is from the primary router, reserving 192.168.1.100 and up for edge devices and the DHCP pool. It’s just a convention that makes it easier to remember.

dipka

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
is there anyway of reorganizing this with the paradyne as the main router? its just that the paradyne is my router and modem and it has a bunch of advance settings i do not want to mess with, so could anyone find a way around this? i would just like to keep it as the one with DHCP.

Oh, sure. I just assumed you had the Dynex there to replace the Paradyne as your primary router. Since I don’t even know the Paradyne model # or anything else about it, I’ll just assume it does NOT support wireless and uses the 192.168.1.x network. If it’s some other network, just make the necessary adjustments.

Paradyne:
Mode: Modem+Router

Dynex:
NOTE: Connect the Dynex to the Paradyne LAN to LAN, do NOT use the Dynex WAN port!

Linksys:

Netgear:
IP: 192.168.1.4
NOTE: Do NOT use the WAN port to connect to Ethernet wall plug, use the LAN port! And obviously it should use a different wireless channel than the Dynex/Linksys (channels 1, 6, and 11 provide maximum separation).

Solution

dipka

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks you so much.

the only modification i did was that i followed this tutorial (http://www.universebot.com/2009/07/30/diy-use-a-linksys-router-as-a-xbox-360-wireless-adapter) for the Linksys and i changed the ip and gateway to 192.168.1.2.

again thanks

Their instructions fall short (at least according to your diagram) since you need to wirelessly connect to the Dynex *and* repeat the wireless signal to the Wii and BR#3. Their instructions only use “client bridge” and don’t repeat the wireless signal (thus limiting you to wired clients at the bridge). You need to use repeater bridge (which is just an extension of client bridge) to add wireless clients to that bridge as well. It’s either that, or you’ll need to have the Wii and BR#3 use the Dynex or Netgear (which I thought might be a range issue).

IOW, if you followed their instructions to the letter, it actually limits your options, unnecessarily, and why I instructed you to use repeater bridge instead. If you’re still interested and need help w/ repeater bridge, just ask (it’s incredibly simple to add).

Anyway, if you got the configuration you want and it works, that’s all that matters.

Latest posts