I replaced the HD in my Windows 7 netbook eMachine with a HD with Windows XP ins

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
The HD in my netbook eMachine running Windows 7 failed. I replaced it with a HD I had with Windows XP installed. Now it won't boot up. It recognizes the HD and Windows XP but won't boot up. The XP screen comes up but then it goes to the black screen for boot failure. It just keeps recycling between the 2 screens.
Any thoughts on the cause of this.

cl-scott

Honorable
Unless that HDD with XP on it came from your netbook, then you have a two-fold problem. The first is a technical issue in that Windows is a device dependent OS, so the drivers for whatever system you pulled it from are going to cause Windows to fail booting. The second issue is legal, in that you would be in violation of the Windows EULA unless this is a retail copy of XP. OEM copies are only licensed for the hardware they are first activated on.

A potential third issue, is that if this netbook came with Windows 7, it is unlikely that there are XP drivers for the hardware, making the whole process doomed from the outset.

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

OK. thank you Scott.

I've got a new HD and Windows 7 coming from Tiger Direct. When installed should I expect any problems with this setup. :??:

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

If I replace the HD with a new one and install a new Windows 7 will I have any problems?

Thanks in advance

Bob

You may still need to find drivers for some of your hardware but Windows 7 will probably find most of them. If they don't appear, go to the maker's website and not one of the scam sites that offer drivers if you let them scan your system - they can be dangerous.

You say a hard drive with Windows 7 - does that mean it's pre-installed or have you bought a drive and a new licenced DVD? If the former, you could be in trouble again. What went wrong with the original disk? It may be that the StartUp Repair or System Restore options on the new DVD could help you repair your old system.

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

No, I bought a new HD and a new Windows 7 from Tirger Direct.com they are seperate. The old HD is completely dead, doesn't run period.
All of my hardware worked with the old Windows 7 on the failed HD so I guess I shouldn't have a problem with the new setup.

You're probabl right but it may have been set up by the manufacturer andindluded their drivers. If you do have a problem, concentrate on finidng the driver for the ethernet adapter, cable to your router and as soon as you find the network driver, all the others can find themselves.

In Control Panel>Device Manager, click on Network Adapters and right click the ethernet and go to Properties. Click Details and scroll to HardwareIDs. Note the four characters after VEN for Vendor and the four following DEV for Device then use the computer you're posting from to go to http://www.pcidatabase.com. Input those codes and follow the trail to the correct driver.

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

OK, thanks for you help and suggestions. I think I'm going to be OK as soon as I get the new stuff installed. The computer is an ACER eMachine netbook that I bought in the Philippines last winter and all of the hardware I added (printers, scanner, external HD's etc were added after I returned to the US this past spring. Everything worked fine until the HD mechanically failed last month. Nothing was bundled with the original purchase.

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
:fou: Just 2 days after installation after a reboot after installing some updates computer failed to start. Reason, complete failure of new HD. Right now I'm waiting to see what Western Digital has to say about it. I've requested a replacement from them. This is not the first time I've had this happen but the other time the new one failed after warranty expired.

How long did you leave it before deciding it wasn't going to start? A Windows 7 installation from an old disk needs a lot of updating and this takes place in several stages, each of which needs a restart and sometimes manually seeking out the next batch of updates to install.

Run Checkdisk from an elevated command prompt by going into the Windows folder then System32, find and right click on the file cmd.exe and scroll to RunAs Administrator. When the form pops up, type chkdsk /r and press Enter. That check is a five stage process which will seek otu and try to fix any disk or file errors.

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

It's not a problem of Windows not starting it's the New HD not running. The black screen comes up saying no bootable devise in system. I took it out and tried it in an external USB hook up and it's definitely not running. I also took another spare HD and tried it and the computer recognized it and was ready to go. I don't want to use the spare HD however because it is smaller. So I'm still waiting for Western Digital to get back to me as to what they are going to do about it since it is definitely still under warranty.

Camcaman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Thanks for your info though. I'll keep that in mind the next time I have Windows failing to start because of file errors.