RAID 1 Drive Failure - Help on Replacing Drive

Vince007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Please excuse my lack of detailed knowledge and multiple questions
I have RAID 1 set up and one of the drives (the one in Port 0) is dead. I need any help anyone can offer in replacing the drive. No joke this is the server my I run the POS system on for a toy store (yes with Christmas 2 weeks away down time must be minimized). The RAID controller is I believe Hardware based - the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

If I simply remove the old drive and install a new drive in the same spot will the system automatically rebuild the drive? If so do I need to do anything to the drive other than take it out of the box and install it?

The current drives are: Seagate Barracuda ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – Is my best choice to install the exact same drive? I know anything larger will just go to waste.

I appreciate all responses and advice – as this is for a toy store I need to get it right the first time. Happy to supply any and all other details needed.

The RAID controller is I believe Hardware based - the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.
Intel Matrix Storage Manager is software based.
If I simply remove the old drive and install a new drive in the same spot will the system automatically rebuild the drive?
Yes it should bebuild automatically.
The current drives are: Seagate Barracuda ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – Is my best choice to install the exact same drive? I know anything larger will just go to waste.
Using identical drives is best. If that server is important, why don't you keep a spare?

Is Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed on your server? It should if the installer set it up correctly. You can use it to monitor the rebuild process.