First time building a PC

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week. Trying to buy before the 31st BUDGET RANGE: $1000-1300 Before / After Rebates Before

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, 3D modeling, rendering, animation, digital artwork, video editing every now and again, internet, and general use.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, or any reputable site COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, but I've never done and I would like to learn / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Probably not since I'm trying to find whether or not I can have a workstation card and a gaming card in the same PC.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050, 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: In researching whether using both a workstation and gaming card in the same pc was possible I came across the fact that Windows 7 may or may not support the ability to switch between two video card drivers.

So is it true that Windows 7 can do this? I would only have one monitor for now but I wouldn't mind switching inputs when I needed to used a different card.

Here is something put together already, but I will happily accept any critiques and suggestions especially if I can lower the price without lowering the performance by that much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.303345

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=16904428

Is the i7 really worth the price increase over the i5?
4 answers Last reply
More about first time building
  1. Are you looking for components or do you want a pre-built system?
    Workstation cards are best for engineering/CAD precision 3D modeling.
    Gaming cards are similar in design, but have different drivers and are often faster for gaming applications. Are you an engineering/science student?
    Normally you would choose one video card style and not try to run both.
    Your budget does not allow for much of a workstation based videocard system.
    Your budget is impossible for both a gaming video card AND a workstation video card.
    Based on your post, I would consider an i5 750 system with a 5850 video card, 4GB ram and Win7. Overclock if you wish using a Cooler Master 512 cpu cooler. Forget about SLI/Xfire. Adjust the video card based on the $$$ left over when including a quality psu and hard drive.
  2. The differences between workstation cards and gaming cards and there drivers I've researched. My question is does Windows 7 actually support the ability to have two non sli/crossfire graphic cards and switch between their drivers.

I'm an animation student. The reason I didn't have a workstation card listed in the build I posted is because I plan to buy that at a later time if I find that Windows 7 has dual card support which I probably should have put in my first post.
  3. Win7 does not support what you want.
    You would have to remove one card's drivers, switch the cards and load the new card's drivers manually.
    A good workstation card can do a decent job running games. It just costs serious money for what is in essence mediocre gaming performance.
  4. Thanks, I see. I'll just have to figure out some workaround. What about a critique of my build.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product