Seemingly High Temperatures

jugzor_111

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Processor 3.4 Ghz 4 Core LGA 1155
CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
MOBO: ASRock z68 extreme4 gen3 lga 1155
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 1.75g Polysynthetic Ceramic Thermal Grease CPU Heat Sink Compound
Heat Sink/Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

I recently upgraded my rig. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to overclocking, but I gave it a try. I went into the bios and there's a setting called "Load Optimized CPU OC Settings". I selected "Turbo 4.4ghz" as the setting, and it overclocked the processor to a speed of 4.4ghz. However, the temperature seems to be high. When looking at the temperature just in the bios, it sits around 64.5. And I'm sure I seated the heat sink correctly and tightly, and I applied a square of thermal paste onto the middle of the CPU. The CPU fan speed is around 1800 RPM. I'm not sure what the speed is on the case fans, it's not shown in the bios (though I know they're spinning).

Is this temperature considered to be pretty high? I thought it was. If it is, any idea why the temperature is so high?

TY

Graphite946

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
bios auto overclocks are kind of weird, they like to crank voltage, because they're worried about any unstable overclocks.

Push your multiplier up slowly, and run prime95 for 5 minutes. if it BSOD's, then you you need to add some Vcore. Do some simple googling for some good guides.

I use HWmonitor to watch fan speed, speedfan is another good program, but I didn't like it personally.