Sign in with
Your question

HHD plug into eSATA port seemed in device manager but not in computer?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Device Manager
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2011 2:40:36 AM

Hello
I plugged in the new hard drive I received by mail order through the eSATA port connector on the rear of my computer and a portable docking station made to connect my new hard drive to my computer via this connection. I am seeing it in my Windows 7 device manager, but not the window seven equivalent of my computer. When I click on the start icon and then the word computer which appears, I get a listing of drives but none of them are the new hard drive which is recognize in the device manager. So why does this happen? It's like the hard drive is there but not ready to use. I cannot see its capacity or start dragging files to it. So what do I have to do to make this drive usable?

More about : hhd plug esata port device manager computer

a b G Storage
December 12, 2011 3:08:23 AM

Make sure your SATA controller support SATA hot-swap, then make sure SATA port is in AHCI mode in BIOS and update the SATA controller driver.

In disk management, you also want to initialise and format before use.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2011 7:51:18 PM

New disc thread link that was given to me above was very good. And new drive does indeed need formatting. But I am having trouble following the steps given because inside my Disk Management part of administrative tools I get a pop up first, which I said no to the first time I saw it, but answered yes the second time I saw it at which says something or other about 2 TB. My new disc is 2.5 TB and it seems this management break this up into 2 TB disk and a 280 GB disk but only the 2 TB disk seems to be able to be formatted. When I try to format the 280 GB portion it will not let me do so. So how do I use this this 280 GB portion as well?

I now have a good formatted 2 TB disk which I believe to be accessible. It appears than my computer, however the 280 GB portion I mentioned above is not in my computer and appears to be not accessible. So how do I format this 280 GB portion and make it accessible?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 12, 2011 8:32:45 PM

Your need GPT, not MBR for HDD bigger than 2TB. Delete MBR volume and make a new volume with GPT.
m
l
December 13, 2011 2:41:40 AM

Pyree said:
Your need GPT, not MBR for HDD bigger than 2TB. Delete MBR volume and make a new volume with GPT.

OK thanks that worked perfectly!

I have another question though. After my new 2.5 TB drive was formatted I shut the power off on my external drive port where the new drive is mounted and it disappeared from my computer as expected, but when you turn the power back on it does not reappear. You have to reboot the computer to see it again in my computer. So why? And is there a way to let you power on and off your estata port and have the drive appear and disappear without rebooting the whole computer?
m
l
December 13, 2011 3:50:29 AM

in66732 said:
OK thanks that worked perfectly!

I have another question though. After my new 2.5 TB drive was formatted I shut the power off on my external drive port where the new drive is mounted and it disappeared from my computer as expected, but when you turn the power back on it does not reappear. You have to reboot the computer to see it again in my computer. So why? And is there a way to let you power on and off your estata port and have the drive appear and disappear without rebooting the whole computer?

Assuming you hate hot-swap enabled and have the disk controller running in AHCI mode, then window's simply isn't assigning a drive letter to the disk once it's been re-inserted. Try removing it, wait a few seconds, plug it back in and load disk manager again. You should see the volume appear, right click and assign it a drive letter to see it again.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2011 5:18:51 AM

Also make sure driver is installed and up to date.
m
l
December 13, 2011 11:10:42 PM

Form reading other posts on other threads I got the impression you enable hot-swap in the bios, but I've been all over my bios and fail to find this feature. I even fail to find the hard drive I have plug-in to my computer via the eSata connector (in the back of my computer) and my docking station. Although this drive appears in my computer and disk management. The drive has been assigned the letter (I) but I still cannot hot-swap it. I have been doing the practice of turning off the power switch prior to insertion or removal of the hard drive to the docking station. I saw this on a YouTube video as safe practices which is why I'm doing it that way.

As for the drivers SYBA the makers of my hard drive docking port wrote me this:

Driver Request --- SYBAUSA.COM
Show Details
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. For SD-ENC50020 there is no drivers needed when operating under windows 7. This item is a fully plug and play item.

Sincerely,

SYBAUSA
said:

Driver Request --- SYBAUSA.COM
Show Details
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. For SD-ENC50020 there is no drivers needed when operating under windows 7. This item is a fully plug and play item.

Sincerely,

SYBAUSA

I am thinking that my gateway computer bios interface lacks the sophistication to let you make my eSata connected hard drive hot-swappable. Is this possible? Is there anyway of getting around this? Also I purchased this particular hard drive docking station because it was said to have no limits on hard drive capacity. Is that a result of not installing explicit drivers and would that be true of any docking station I could have purchased were I not to install explicit drivers?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2011 11:40:36 PM

So no hotswap function after SATA controller driver installation and update? Could be because it is ICH9B, then there will be no hotswap. But beats me as to why mobo manufacturer put an eSATA port on it if it wasn't meant to be usable?
m
l
December 14, 2011 4:34:55 PM

Pyree said:
So no hotswap function after SATA controller driver installation and update? Could be because it is ICH9B, then there will be no hotswap. But beats me as to why mobo manufacturer put an eSATA port on it if it wasn't meant to be usable?

Well it is usable in a fashion although not fully functional. Inserting or removing the hard drive does not update its absence or presence in my computer (just computer in Windows 7), but doing a scan for hardware in the device manager always updates the status correctly forcing my computer to reflect the correct status of whether or not the hard drive is in the port. This scanning in the device manager also makes the files on my hard drive accessible.

Consequently I am thinking shortcut or possibly shortcut to commandline or device manager applet. But what should I do? Is there some way of automating the process of a scan for hardware changes in device manager which will be easiest for me to learn how to do? I've started to read how to do this but don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions on how to do this in the best way would be appreciated.
m
l
December 15, 2011 3:27:08 PM

The best answer to my question on how to create a shortcut to the device manager appears to be at this URL. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/53667-device-manag...
There you'll find a zip file which once opened and executed will create a shortcut to device manager for you which you can pin to the the taskbar in Windows 7.
m
l
!