My 4850 is getting extremely hot.

zamp07

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I'm not sure how long it has been doing this, or if it just started, but I just got Crysis Warhead today and wanted to make sure I didn't fry my GPU by forgetting to turn the fan on high(before I set it to manual and turned it down low when I would surf the web, then high when I played games. I didn't remember if I still had it like that, which I didn't.), so I went to CCC and after some monitoring of it, I noticed that the card got to 103C. This seems really high and I don't ever remember it getting to this point before. Usually it stayed at 80ish, and MAYBE got to the 90s.

So I manually turned the fan to 100%, but the card still got really hot. I went to downclock it to see if that would help lower the temps, and at first I was confused because CCC said the current speeds were as low as they could go, and I didn't remember ever underclocking it. So I looked at it with GPU-z, and it said my speeds were the stock speed, so I think CCC and/or the driver might be messing up. So, ignoring what CCC said my current speeds were, I used it to underclock the card to as low as it can go(500/750 GPU/memory) and it GPU-z saw that it changed, so at least the underclocking part of CCC is working. I went to game some more and see if the temps changed at all, and it got a max of 95C.

So, what can I do to fix this? I've been told that 103 isn't a healthy temp for the card, even though 120(?) is the max. I think that since CCC couldn't read my current speeds correctly, it might be malfunctioning causing everything to go bad, in return causing me to have high temps. I have the latest drivers, but is there a way I can completely get rid of them, then reinstall them again? Maybe that will fix it somehow. Or are there any other suggestions on what to do?

I dusted on my case about a week ago, so I don't think dust is the problem. Also, I noticed its not just Crysis that makes it really hot. I played Batman Arkham Asylum and Mass effect, along with numerous other games that I heard the fan going at the same speed(but didnt check the temps for those), and those two games got it to 103 as well. Also another reason why I think CCC could be bugged is because the max temp it gets to is 103C. When it gets there it usually seems like it is stuck there. It just seems kind of weird that it doesn't like fluctuate between 100-105, and is just stuck at 103.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Use some compressed air to blow out the cooler on the card. Cleaning out the case won't help in that situation. If that doesn't help then like wa1 said apply some fresh good thermal paste and reseat the cooler.

zamp07

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
So I ran driver sweeper and completely reinstalled my drivers... and no luck changing anything from that. If anything, it made it worse since I saw it at 105C.

So then I took edea's advice and opened up my case to take off the cover and dust everything, and holy crap... I must have done an absolute TERRIBLE job dusting when I did it about a week ago. I gave my fan a good blast or few of air, then I noticed there was a huge layer of dust on the top of it, so I blew that all away and it started to shine again.

So I started up my computer, and at idle it was at about 60C opposed to 80C. So I started up Batman(I've been using this to test my temps because its the easiest game I have to alt tab out of), and I noticed I didn't hear my fan start up at all. Usually I started to hear it at the main menu. I started playing for a few minutes, went back and checked, and now its at about 77C.

I had no idea dust could hurt your PC THAT much. I have no idea what I did last time I dusted, I must have completely missed the GPU.

Anyways, is it safe to leave those slot cover things off? I'm not sure if it's that that is helping, or if its all the dust I blew away. If it's safe I'll just leave it off since it'll hopefully help keep the temps down a bit, but if its just supposed to be a temporary fix, I'll want to put it back on.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Remember dust is one of your greatest enemies.
You only need to take off the one next to the card not all of them lol
And they don't HAVE to be off but with my old single slot Geforce 8600 GTS I noticed when I took the one off closest to it that my temps when Folding@Home went down from 83C to 79C so it does make a bit of a difference sometimes.
It's really just up to you :]

zamp07

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Damn, no I don't think I could have topped those.

the old 4850 cooler is junk, get a arctic cooling s1 rev2,or similar

I'm pretty sure my card is still overheating. I was playing Crysis Warhead, and I kept getting this different colored triangles(they'd be solid one color, but I mean sometimes I'd get white, then the next time I played I'd get purple, etc). It's weird because it only happens sometimes. However, I noticed it happens a lot less when I set my fan to 100% manually, since it doesn't reach 100% when it is set to automatic.

So, I think the card is still overheating sometimes, and I want to put a new cooler on it. Which would be the best cooler, for under $75 that is also very easy to install? The arctic cooling s1 is only about $10, and looks like its just the fan.

I was looking at these, and it seems to be more of a heat sink rather than just a fan by itself, so would these be better?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185081

If so, which one is better? If not, can anyone recommend me a good cooler? Things I'm looking for in it: under $75, easy to install, quiet, obviously keep my temps low, and it'd be nice if it had cool looking lights on it since I have a window in my case and love it being all colored up. Right now I can idle at about 65-75C, and under load its anywhere from 85-95C(but ive still seen it peak to 100C, even after dusting it).

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Did you remove the current cooler, apply new good quality thermal paste, and reseat the cooler like we suggested?

zamp07

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Not yet, because I don't have any thermal paste. If I'm going to be ordering some thermal paste and taking off the cooler, I thought I mind as well get a whole new one since that will hopefully keep it even cooler and quieter.