Sign in with
Your question

Odd boot error...Please help!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2010 9:41:06 PM

"Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

I bought a new HDD (seagate 500g) but I can't get past this error, and I can't boot from CD either. The drive has no OS on it, so I'm trying to install windows 7. The weird part is the bios recognizes both my dvd drive and HDD. I changed the settings in bios to make sure it's pointing to my dvd drive first, and I have the CD in the drive but it never gives me an option to boot from CD. I also changed DVD drives and nothing happens...I still get the same error message. I'm running out of options. What do you guys think the problem is?

So:
Removed battery from mobo to reset bios
Switched DVD drives
checked boot order
Windows 7 cd works on other computer
Switched HDD's
Changed cables
Plugged into different sata cables

BTW, Both DVD drive and HDD are SATA. The dvd drives work on a different computer. The motherboard is a Biostar tf720. Maybe something with the sata controller, or do I need to flash the BIOS or try to run the HDD cd from boot? I'm exhausted from troubleshooting and just would like to know if anyone has had this trouble before. Thanks!

More about : odd boot error

a c 103 V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 9:58:41 PM

The reason for the error message is because there is no OS installed.

The reason you don't get prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" is because you designated your BIOS to read from optical drive first; it would be redundant to display the boot from disc prompt under this setting.

Now, the bigger question is why doesn't your optical drive detect the bootable (it is bootable, isn't it?) Windows disc?

My theory is that the HDD needs to be formatted for installation, as every Seagate HDD i've ever installed as a primary boot drive required this formatting (although bought blank from a store), but the Windows disc is supposed to handle that during the install.

Try these:
1. Update to most current BIOS
2. Change boot order to HDD first, then see if prompt appears with bootable disc inserted to optical drive
3. Connect the Seagate to another computer as a slave, and format it from Windows.
4. Connect DVD drive and hard drive (as master) to the computer they worked on, then try installing Windows to the Seagate from there.
July 21, 2010 3:05:05 AM

I'm about to hulk smash my ******* computer.

I FINALLY got it to boot, I flashed my bios and now I get this error

"The power of the CPU exceeds 95w"

I know what this error means, but what blows my MIND IS THAT IT'S WORKED FINE FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS!!!!!!
I update the bios, FROM THE COMPUTER and then after it restarts it gets this message. Is there a way I can go back to the old BIOS? I'm guessing they put this failsafe in the new bios settings. I'm further back than where I started, and I could use a tall glass of whiskey right about now.
Related resources
July 21, 2010 6:06:02 PM

Ok so i've got this far now...Last night I formatted a flash drive to boot as a dos disk and put the flash utility on there as well as the bios. I couldn't get them to boot though. I think the problem may of been i put them in a folder on the drive, do you think that's where I went wrong?

I put it in E:\Bios instead of E:\

Should I just install it to the root directory of the flash drive?

In my bios, I went to HDD's and made the flash drive the 1 slot (It showed 3 options, the flash drive and 2 HDD's I have connected). Then I went to boot options and went in this order -> Flash drive -> CD drive -> floppy

Look good so far?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using the AFUBIOS flash utility and I found a site that has older bios'. Later versions locked out processors that required more than 95w powerage, so basically my processor did run until I flashed it to the latest version. I formatted the flash drive and have the flash utility and bios on the drive. What am I doing wrong?
a c 103 V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 11:48:27 PM

The procedure you took to boot from a Flash drive are correct, and so is your boot order.

You are correct. You don't want to put the BIOS update tool in a directory, as your BIOS doesn't have the capacity to search. When the update tool is correctly 'installed' to the Flash drive, it should be an auto run effect.

Your statement "I updated the bios, FROM THE COMPUTER..." Do you mean you updated the BIOS from Windows? If so, was it successful, or did something go wrong (like BSOD, freezing, etc.)

Try clearing CMOS again, then running the BIOS updater, from the Flash drive (assuming that you've corrected the directory issue first, if not do that first).

July 22, 2010 1:07:27 PM

I flashed the bios from windows using a utility that came with the mobo cd. After doing some searching online I find a tech note on biostar's website saying do not use the utility, because sometimes it will flash the wrong bios and there is a high risk of causing your motherboard to become nothing more than a paper weight. Pretty cute eh?

I finally was able to flash it. After hooooooooooouuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssss of playing around, I realized I was going to have to borrow a processor. It was showing POST, but soon as I chose to boot from my flash it would give me the "power exceeds 95w" and glitch out. I think Jesus finally got tired of messing with me, because as I was calling friends I happened to realize my downstairs computer was an older am2 processor and *might* just fit. It did, and I was able to flash the BIOS back to the version before they implemented the logout.

I was able to get my vista disk to boot, but my windows 64 bit won't...I can't do an upgrade either (my vista is 32 and you can't jump from 32 to 64 without doing a full install) so does anyone have any ideas?
a c 103 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 8:09:24 PM

I would connect the Seagate to your other computer, as the master HDD, and then install windodws 7 from there. You haven't specified the type of DVD drive that your new computer has, so I can't rule out disc compatability.

What I'm saying is that the new computer may have A DVD drive, but it may not support the type of disc Windows 7 is burned on. Again, just a theory...
July 23, 2010 9:06:18 PM

Couldn't I connect the seagate as a secondary drive to one of my other computers, boot from the primary HDD, then run win7 and install to the seagate?? Like I said win7 runs fine as long as i'm booting it from my OS and not startup.

I know this is a rather noobish question I just didn't know if I can specify a drive other than the one i'm booting from, I know you can if you boot from startup but I have no clue how it works when i'm running from an OS.
a c 103 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 9:18:03 PM

OK, let's start from the beginning...

Is this Windows 7 disc store bought (online, in store, or otherwise genuine) or is this a downloaded copy?

I don't mean to insult you, so I apologize if I am, but it sounds like the disc isn't bootable.

You say that "win7 runs fine as long as i'm booting it from my OS and not startup." this suggests that you simply can't run the disc from startup because the contents on said disc are not burned as bootable disc image.

If the contents of the disc are not bootable, then the compatability concern is moot.
July 23, 2010 9:35:55 PM

I understand, and no offense taken...It's actually a little bit of both.

My original win7 dvd warped (I left it in my truck, on the dash) so I torrented the install files. I've ordered another one from microsoft, but I really would like this issue fixed instead of waiting a week or two for the disk. So yes, the cd is burnt but I have a genuine key. I have booted this cd from startup before so I know it does work.

a c 103 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 9:59:05 PM

OK, great. So we know the disc works. Now, I apologize again if you did understand my suggestion, but in case you didn't...

1. Remove Seagate from new computer.
2. Remove Master HDD from old computer.
3. Connect Seagate as Master HDD in old computer.
4. Using the DVD drive that is already in your old computer, insert the Win7 disc.

Now, what happened when you tried this?

Did you read my first response carefully? Not seeing the "Boot from CD" option is what happens when the BIOS is set to read from disc as the first boot option. Try putting the boot order back to HDD first, then see what happens.
!