Sign in with
Your question

Multimedia PC for Ceton Multi-Channel Cable TV Card

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2009 11:20:22 PM

I'm preparing to build a new machine that will be used primarily as a multimedia center on a home network with the intent of replacing multiple TWC cable boxes and giving me greater recording capacity. I'm chomping at the bit while I wait for the projected Q1 2010 release of the Centon Multi-Channel Cable TV Card (read more about it at ).

A secondary purpose will be to serve as a second (backup) work computer. I'm not much of a gamer on the pc (love the Wii though), so gaming is not big consideration.

I've been flip-flopping between an Intel build and a lower-priced AMD system; but never having gone the AMD route, and considering my primary purpose for this machine, I've decided an Intel processor and mb is the way to go. Here's what I'm considering. I want to keep costs to a minimum while still being future-proof for about 3 years. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

* ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

* Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

* XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

* Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1067 (Note: I've used this memory in previous builds and have found it to be very stable -- I don't do overclocking)

* Boot drive: Kingston SSDNow V-Series SNV125-S2BD/64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) Desktop bundled accessory kit

* Data drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

* COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Note: I've used this case before and really like it -- nothing flashy, but well-designed and inexpensive)

* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Not listed here is the Ceton Multi-channel Cable TV Card, which is not yet available for purchase.

December 28, 2009 11:52:50 PM

I forgot to mention that I am going to re-use a DVD writer and an Antec 450w psu that I am removing from a 3yr old system that this new machine is replacing.
m
l
December 29, 2009 1:56:05 AM

Build looks good, but there's no telling what else will be available when the Ceton cards are finally released. Since you're waiting on them, why not wait to see what's available when they are?

-Wolf sends
m
l
December 29, 2009 3:14:48 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Build looks good, but there's no telling what else will be available when the Ceton cards are finally released. Since you're waiting on them, why not wait to see what's available when they are?

-Wolf sends

Yes, you're quite right, and I'm not in a hurry. I do need a second computer available to me, though, and the backup I've been using is fading fast, so I'm at least trying to get a handle on a good target for a suitable replacement that will handle a 4-channel tuner capably and be useful for my work, too.
m
l
!