ASUS P8 Z77-V Pro Overclocking

kazik126p

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hello,

I recently built a computer with the specs as shown at the bottom of this post. I tried overclocking the CPU using ASUS' TurboV EVO included with their AI Suite II and was wondering if anyone on the forums had experience with this software package.

Using TurboV EVO, I increased the CPU Ratio using the Manual mode to 46 (which should overclock the processor to 4.6 GHz). However, the CPU monitor (please see image below) displays the CPU speed at 1600 MHz. Is this normal? Does the setting change depending on CPU load? Is there a way to force the CPU to run at 4.6 GHz at all times?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

asusimage.jpg

My system specs are:

Corsair 600T case
i5 3570k processor
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
ASUS z77 Pro Mobo
16 GB Corsair Vengeance (1600) memory
EVGA GTX680
Crucial 256 GB SSD
Seasonic 1050 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium

First of all, you should OC through the BIOS, but what you're seeing is totally normal and is caused by SpeedStep. It'll clock up when it needs to.

If you want a solid OC, you can disable SpeedStep (which I don't recommend), or you can use the High Performance power profile in Windows (I DO recommend that, and it's what I do). That way you can just set it back to Balanced to let it clock down when you don't need full speed.

You don't HAVE to do that, of course, just saying that's what you should do if you want a solid 4.6Ghz OC.

kazik126p

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Thank you for your reply.

Is there any disadvantage to allowing the CPU to clock up only when it needs to?

Do you know where I could find a thorough guide on overclocking directly through the BIOS?

kazik126p

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Thank you for your reply.

Is there any disadvantage to allowing the CPU to clock up only when it needs to?

Do you know where I could find a thorough guide on overclocking directly through the BIOS?

Not really any disadvantages to letting SpeedStep just do its thing, no. There may be a circumstance every now and then that you need full speed ALL the time, but usually not. AND it runs cooler, of course, when allowed to clock down too.

I actually don't personally know of any Ivy Bridge OC guides or any for that particular board, but I'm sure they're out there if you Google it. Really though, there's not much difference between Sandy and Ivy as far as OC'ing goes. Just voltage, basically.