Sign in with
Your question

Need Help!!

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2009 11:26:14 PM

Not sure where to post this but sense it is home built, ill start here.
Built the rig back in early 08. I recently revamped the inside of my case with new fans and did some cleanup with my cords. For whatever reason, my computer is freezing when I play Team Fortress 2. It happens at random, and only while i play the game. I can play any other game on my computer for hours and hours without a hickup.. Need some help... Ive already done a disc defrag, got the latest and greatest updates for my game and for windows.
Specs:
Windows XP 32-bit SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Replaced within 6 months, (lan ports stoped working, sent me a new board)
GECUBE GC-XHD3850PG3-E3R Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
KINGWIN Revolution RVT-9225 92mm H.D.T. CPU Cooler
RAIDMAX AURORA 2 RX-600F 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready LED Power Supply
APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
2x APEVIA CF4SL-UBL-LED 80mm Blue LED Case Fan
2x Rosewill RFA-80-BL 80mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan
Thermaltake A1926 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

Any guesses or suggestions why this could be happening?
My temps on everything are great, the case has very good airflow... CPU and MOBO never climb above 100 even after hours of gaming... Graphics Card stays at ~60C after hours of gaming while under full load, ive actualy never seen it go above 61C before.
Please Help!!!

More about : question

December 28, 2009 11:48:32 PM

Not to be rude but this aint my first rodeo ;)  I double and tripple checked my connections, I bought 2 cans of air to make sure it was clean. There isnt any static ele. on it.
Its been a stable system for this whole time, and like i said, it only freezes during gameplay. Has never froze EVER before during any games or other apps for that matter.
When i built it, i didnt realize i was buying a not so good PSU, but it was really cheap when i got it and i figured i would never use that much power, but maybe i am?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2009 1:45:54 AM

Eh, if it doesnt happen in other games (that may well be more demanding) it isn't likely to be an issue of power. Try reinstalling thegame and see what that does.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2009 1:49:41 AM

well If temps are good and the system is stable on everything but that 1 game, I would try to clean the system of every trace of it and reinstall and see.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2009 1:53:50 AM

Also when it freezes, ctrl alt del go to the unresponding program in task manager right click it and make a dump file save it and zip it up and see if someone that can read them can see whats going on.

GL
m
l
December 29, 2009 6:04:24 AM

When it freezes, the only option I have is to hold down the power button. The entire system is on lockdown during the "freeze". Ive updated my video driver, I just swaped out my SATA cord as i have had a problem with it before, almost as if the hard drive goes into a "loop". i will try to uninstall and re-install, we will see what happens. Thnx for all the help so far..
:) 
m
l
December 29, 2009 8:27:10 AM

Well, did the uninstall, and re-install. Same ***... This next time it froze, i let it set for about 15 seconds, then my mobo speaker was sounding a continuous beep untill i turned off my pc. Im totaly clueless on this one...
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2009 3:00:31 PM

Since it happens only for a specific game, I suspect the graphics driver.
There is a 9.12 hotfix driver which is worth trying.
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst9...

To reinstall, follow this procedure:
1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) Add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia vga drivers and programs, and any ati drivers and programs if present.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.
m
l
December 29, 2009 8:44:00 PM

Sounds like a plan. The game is Team Fortress 2, not a demanding game really. anyhow i figure maybe its my launch client is doing it? steam is the platfrom the game launches from, im currently in the proccess of defraging after i uninstalled the game and the platform. If this dosent work, ill deff do the driversweeper, and if that fails...
lets just hope it dosent..
i still appreciate the help..
:) 
m
l
!