Uninstalling Nvidia driver without Nvidia card??

flashz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Hi, I am going to upgrade from Nvidia from ATi (4670); the only difference is my old Nvidia card (NX6600GT) is not working anymore. So would like to check with you if the following process can work:
1. Install new ATi card in PCIe slot
2. Try to boot up PC (note that the Nvidia driver has not been uninstalled yet)
3. From Device Manager, select video card and uninstall drivers.
4. Shutdown and reboot in Safe-Mode
5. Run DriverSweeper (from Guru3d) to remove any reminents of NVIDIA driver.
6. Install ATi drivers

What I am unsure about is whether step 2 can work... I am not sure if the screen can still display properly if the card is ATi but the driver is Nvidia....

I need to know the above because I need to decide whether to pay the IT shop $10-30 bucks for their service to help install the ATi card. Would appreciate if you share your experience on this issue. THanks :)

FunSurfer

Distinguished
You can uninstall the Nvidia drivers without the card.

Your process is fine, but the correct order or the stages is:

1. From Device Manager, select video card and uninstall Nvidia drivers (it can be done also from the control panel and uninstall programes).
2. Shutdown and reboot in Safe-Mode.
3. Run DriverSweeper (from Guru3d) to remove any reminents of NVIDIA driver.
4. Boot up PC and install the ATi drivers.
5. Shutdown and install new ATi card in PCIe slot.
6. Turn on the PC. The 4670 should be recognized now.

1. Suggest 1st that you download latest driver from ATI site and not use the one on the CD. From there I take a slightly different route

2. Can uninstall from the Add / Remove Programs window to get at all 3 nVidia programs / drivers. Reboot then run registry cleaner (i.e. CCleaner) to look for any leftover registry entries and remove if necessary. Reboot and shutdown.

3. Install card in appropriate slot, don't forget power cables if appropriate.

4. Boot to windows and ignore found new hardware, tell it NO you don't want it to find anything.

5. Install driver from HD and reboot.

flashz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Hi FunSurfer,
Thanks for the response, I can only carry out step 1 after I have installed the new ATi card (this is because the old 6600GT just show me a black screen after bootup and is unusable now). Can the following steps still works as follows?:

1. install new ATi card in PCIe slot
2. From Device Manager, select video card and uninstall Nvidia drivers (it can be done also from the control panel and uninstall programes).
3. Shutdown and reboot in Safe-Mode.
4. Run DriverSweeper (from Guru3d) to remove any reminents of NVIDIA driver.
5. Boot up PC and install the ATi drivers.

flashz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Hi JackNaylorPE,
Thanks for the advice, just to clarify, right now the old 6600GT just show me a black screen after bootup and is unusable now. If I just install the new ATi card, will the screen show anything?

Can the steps still works as follows?:

1. install new ATi card in PCIe slot
2. Can uninstall from the Add / Remove Programs window to get at all 3 nVidia programs / drivers. Reboot then run registry cleaner (i.e. CCleaner) to look for any leftover registry entries and remove if necessary. Reboot and shutdown.

3. Boot to windows and ignore found new hardware, tell it NO you don't want it to find anything.

4. Install driver from HD and reboot.

DenverBarr

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Did you ever get it working im having the same problem?