When I plug my HD on SATA 3 6Gb/s it is not recognized

rogiwara

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
My rig is:

Intel Core i5-750
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
WD Caviar Black 1000Gb Sata III 6Gb/s

When I plug this HD on the Sata III port on the mobo, it is not recognized, I am using the Sata III cable that came with the motherboard,
the cable is OK because I am using it now in the normal Sata port.
Do I have to enable something on BIOS?

This is the first rig that I build and I don't understand that much

Thanks in advance

Solution
First: I would verify the SATA III controller is enabled in your BIOS.

Question: Is it not showing up in the BIOS or during the Windows install? If it is during the Windows install, I would look to load the SATA III controller driver during the point where you have that option (Google for more info, if needed). This should load the necessary drivers for Windows to find your hard drive.

tecmo34

Administrator
First: I would verify the SATA III controller is enabled in your BIOS.

Question: Is it not showing up in the BIOS or during the Windows install? If it is during the Windows install, I would look to load the SATA III controller driver during the point where you have that option (Google for more info, if needed). This should load the necessary drivers for Windows to find your hard drive.

Solution

cega

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
This is most likely a known firmware issue with certain models of the WD WD1002FAEX drives. There were 5 or 6 models of this drive that had SATA III not enabled in firmware. WD can provide you with a console application to fix this. I had a total of 4 of the affected drives and after applying the fix all drives are fine.