Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory Speed Changes??

Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2010 11:55:03 PM

Hello,
I have DDR2 800 (6400) ram installed, but when i ran the cupz program, the speed changes..??

It changes from 200 MHz to 368 MHz to 400 MHz without me doing anything.

The memory I have is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The motherboard I have is
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

which says that it supports DDR2 PC6400 (800 MHz)

Any help will be appreciated.

Also, on a side note, I try looking in the BIOS to see if I can just the FSB speed, or memory speed, but I see no option to change anything either. Is the motherboard locked? if it is, is there anyway to unlock it?

More about : memory speed

a c 216 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 21, 2010 12:51:03 AM

What do mean by "the speed changes"? Is there actually a problem with the function of the system?

With that HP system you don't have the option to change much of anything in the CMOS Setup Utility since most of it is set up to automatically sense the configuration change. I think it's purposely set up this way to limit the number of technical support issues that would arise if uninformed owners were to go into the CMOS Setup Utility and mess up the settings so the system wouldn't boot.

When you installed the memory the system will use the entries in the SPD Table to automatically set the memory parameters for you. Look at the Memory and SPD tab pages in CPU-Z. Does the Memory tab page contain timings that match one of the columns in the Timings Table on the SPD tab page? If it does, then all is working as it should.
m
l

Best solution

a c 108 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 21, 2010 1:01:29 AM

First off, yes, your BIOS is locked; locked by HP. Second, all BIOS settings that have an [Auto] setting, are by default set to [Auto], including prefabricated systems.

As for your fluctuating RAM speed, I believe that AMD's Cool 'n Quiet feature is to blame. Cool 'n Quiet throttles the CPU frequency by fluctuating the multiplier. This is done to keep the CPU from overheating and to keep the HSF from spinning too fast and becoming too loud.

RAM frequency is affected by CPU frequency, so when the CPU frequency changes, so will your RAM frequency. This happens because of the default [Auto] settings in your BIOS.

Related resources
July 21, 2010 1:39:37 AM

Here is the image I took from CUP-Z

It'll change from one speed to another without me doing anything...

Anyways, it looks like T_T is correct, i also notice the multiplier changes by itself, so I'm assuming that's what caused the RAM speed to change. Also, instead of a normal FSB: DRAM ratio, it showed CPU/*...so I guess it is determined by the CPU speed.

So I guess the follow up question is :

The Auto setting won't effect the actual performance right? it'll just boost the RAM speed when its needed, correct? I just don't want to "waste" the speed by the CPU/Motherboard forcing the memory to run slower than it could.

Also, since the BIOS is locked, there is no way to unlocked correct? So that means that I won't be able to overclock anything, even if I want to, right? I guess this is what I get for buying a pre-built system vs building my own...

Anyways, this forum is awesome...been reading through the guides and other people's posts, and I learned a lot from that. There sure is a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum.
m
l
a c 108 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 21, 2010 1:57:18 AM

Jamesma1979 said:
The Auto setting won't effect the actual performance right? it'll just boost the RAM speed when its needed, correct? I just don't want to "waste" the speed by the CPU/Motherboard forcing the memory to run slower than it could.

The Auto setting won't affect performance; however, "performance" is relative to your hardware. Since your BIOS is locked, you can't manually set the values for your RAM. Part of manually configuring RAM in the BIOS is telling the BIOS what frequency to run said RAM. The default setting for DDR2 is 400 (or 200 MHz). These default and [Auto] settings are in place so that any physically and electrically compatible hardware can be used on the motherboard. This means that you won't ever use the full potential of your RAM as long as it sits in your HP; however, multi-threaded software can and will utilize multi-core CPU. This means that when more CPU is power is needed, your motherboard can provide the "boost" as needed-up to the default limitations-and with the boost in CPU performance will come RAM performance-up to the default limitations.

Jamesma1979 said:
Also, since the BIOS is locked, there is no way to unlocked correct? So that means that I won't be able to overclock anything, even if I want to, right? I guess this is what I get for buying a pre-built system vs building my own...

Your assessment is correct.
m
l
July 21, 2010 2:03:09 AM

I see...

Thanks a lot for your quick response!
m
l
July 21, 2010 2:03:31 AM

Best answer selected by Jamesma1979.
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 21, 2010 2:40:13 AM

You could download an unlocked BIOS for this motherboard, but it would be use at your own risk.
m
l
!