on my desktop i have an amd athlon 3500+ @ 2.2 Ghz
3gb of ddr pc 3200 ram

the laptop is an amd turion x2 rm-70 @ 2.00Ghz
3gb of ddr2 pc 6400

the o.s. is different
desktop = win xp
laptop = win7
both are 32bit

the main question is why does the laptop run slower than my desktop?
the only performance gain is in multitasking
it uncompresses slower, compresses slower, encodes/decodes slower, opens programs slower
just about everything about it is slower and i am confused
shouldn't the laptop because of the dualcore and the ddr2 ram be at least as fast as my desktop if not faster?

now i know the os is a big factor to be considered to but keep in mind that i have ran win7 on my desktop and compared it to the laptop as well and still the same results, the laptop is slower.

thanks ahead of time and if you need any more info about the setups just ask and i will be happy to provide any info you might need

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
i understand that. and they have speed step or something similar to under clock it when not in use. i have the speed step in mine disabled to run a constant 2.0GHz

but the core clock on the laptop is 2GHz and the desktop is 2.2GHz there is not much difference. and the laptop has a dualcore and twice as fast ram.
so it should at least be just as fast as my desktop. but i say that it should out perform the desktop because of those two factors.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

the hdd's are about equivalent as well both desktop and laptop have WD 7200 rpm SATA hdd's. only difference is the amount of storage

You've answered your own question about speed. You noticed the desktop cpu was set to run faster even though the cpus were similar. Desktops don't have to worry about battery life. The laptop cpus are cherry picked, passing at a lower voltage setting than typical desktop cpus. Intel charges a rediculous price premium for it's socket P processors for this reason. Amd is also starting to do the same. You'll also notice that few venders sell laptop cpus; they're scarcer, and most folks don't bother upgrading their laptop processors.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
one last thing because i know it makes a big differance
its about the cache, bus speed and HT

desktop
cache: L1 -64KBytes L2-512KBytes
Bus Speed: 200MHz
HT Link: 1000MHz

Laptop
cache: L1-2x64KBytes 2way L2-2x512 16way
Bus Speed:200MHz
HT Link: 2000MHz

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

i dont see how a 0.2GHz will make that much of a difference. besides that point the laptop is a dual core and DDR2 ram the DDR2 ram would more then compensate for that little bit of CPU margin.

and i will further test the theory and un derclock my desktop and overclock the laptop by that 0.2GHz and i bet you the desktop is still faster.