Sign in with
Your question

X58 Motherboard for New Build

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 12:52:06 AM

Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of building my next computer, and I'm debating which motherboard to buy. I have some experience with parts (one prior build, but I do a ton of research) and I know that you almost always get what you pay for (but we'd all like to pay a little bit less, huh?), so I'm familiar with the good brands and whatnot.

I'm looking at motherboards around $250, so my big options are:
Asus P6TX58D-E ($239.99, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ($199.99, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Maybe the Gigabyte X58A-UD5, if my budget allows.
I have a few others but can't remember them; might be able to update if I can find them again.
Might be able to scrounge up a few more pennies and maybe get a sub-$300 board, so recommendations are welcome for that range as well.

My other components will (tentatively) be:
Core i7-930 ($289.99)
3x2GB OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 Triple Channel Memory ($149.99 - $30 MIR - $15 combo savings with the CPU)

Currently have (previous build - less than 6 months old):
Antec 650W PSU
500GB HDD
64GB SSD
XFX 9800GT
Antec 300 Case

My goal with the motherboard is to be able to do some high quality (not necessarily highest) gaming, and maybe some overclocking if I have spare time (I'm a engineering student). I would find any reasoning why certain motherboards are better than others very useful, and I'm willing to invest in quality hardware. I'm also seriously thinking about another 9800GT or something in SLI, so multiple PCI-E slots are definitely needed. USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps are also pluses, but not requirements.
I also have a Titan Fenrir CPU cooler, so if you know of any issues with certain motherboards, please let me know.

Thank you thank you thank you!

More about : x58 motherboard build

July 21, 2010 2:40:30 AM

First off, Titan Fenrir is awesome.
If you can cut that i7 930 and get the 920 for $20 less
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Motherboard, you aren't getting anything cheaper than $199 for a USB 3.0 and SATA 6gbs. So i would go with the Asus P6TX58D-E because of the better brand and quality. If your budget allows then go with the X58A-UD5 like you said lol.

Ditch that OCZ Gold (even though they specify in overclocking) and get this CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3x2) DDR3 SDRAM 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
at timings of 9-9-9-24, you won't need to overclock for just $10 more than the OCZ Gold.
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 8:58:27 PM

What about the Gigabyte UD5, Asus P6X58D Premium (not the -E), and the MSI Big Bang-X Power? Price isn't an issue since they're all within $10, but which one is the best of the bunch?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 9:41:36 PM

+1 for the gigabyte UD5. I have it and it's a great mobo. Note: I have the first version without usb 3 and sata3, but apart from that, both boards are equal.

Layout is one of the best and 10 sata port are really handy for adding esata's at the back if you would need them. You will never run out of sata's that's for sure.

OC's like the best. My 920 is at 3.8GHz at almost stock voltages.

Well positioned pcie ports for up to three-way gpu setups.

To make a long story short: I would go for the UD5
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 2:59:07 PM

Hey all,
I just wanted to let you guys know I went for the EVGA FTW3 (such a silly name IMO). It was a tough decision between the UD5 and the Asus, but I discovered the FTW3 and it was a little bit cheaper and had a better balance of slots and whatnot for my use. I appreciate the help either way, because I'm helping a friend build an X58 system and figuring out which motherboard to get him.
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 1:47:01 PM

boiler1990 said:
Hey all,
I just wanted to let you guys know I went for the EVGA FTW3 (such a silly name IMO). It was a tough decision between the UD5 and the Asus, but I discovered the FTW3 and it was a little bit cheaper and had a better balance of slots and whatnot for my use. I appreciate the help either way, because I'm helping a friend build an X58 system and figuring out which motherboard to get him.

EVGA's are nice boards too. However I don't prefer them as I find them too expensive in turn for what you get.

Anyway, for your friend. I would recommend him the UD5, just like I recommended you. However don't know what his preferences are, as the UD5 isn't the cheapest.
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 2:20:55 PM

I put together the parts list on Newegg for him yesterday and found that the UD5 is the perfect board for him; high-end enough to be quick and durable in quality, yet not excessive for his needs. It's also the right price for what it delivers in comparison to some others.

I agree that EVGA can sometimes be a little expensive, but it has a perfect balance of what I need and what I want to pay. Also, I hear that they're really good for overclocking (and that some of their boards are better OCed), so when I have the time to do it, my hardware can handle it (not that the other boards couldn't)
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 9:20:03 PM

boiler1990 said:
I put together the parts list on Newegg for him yesterday and found that the UD5 is the perfect board for him; high-end enough to be quick and durable in quality, yet not excessive for his needs. It's also the right price for what it delivers in comparison to some others.

I agree that EVGA can sometimes be a little expensive, but it has a perfect balance of what I need and what I want to pay. Also, I hear that they're really good for overclocking (and that some of their boards are better OCed), so when I have the time to do it, my hardware can handle it (not that the other boards couldn't)

He won't regret getting the UD5, I can assure you.

EVGA's are indeed excellent OC'ers. However, for me the problem is they cost about as much as some ASUS or Gigabyte boards that have better features and hardware on board. For example, most EVGA boards have 8-phase CPU power cicuits while an equally priced ASUS or Gigabyte will have 14 or 16-phase power circuits. Dunno if it will make much of a difference in OC'ing, however its always nice to have it for the same or even a lower price.

Anyway, I'm sure you won't have any problems with the EVGA and you'll enjoy it.
!