Upgrade to SSD

Hi.
I was thinking to upgrade from The old fashion Hard Drive to SSD.
Can i do that wit the Following Mother board and System:

Computer Brand Name: MSI MS-7309
Motherboard Model: MSI MS-7309
Motherboard Chipset: nVidia nForce 6100-405/430
Motherboard Slots: 2xPCI, 2xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16
PCI Express Version Supported: v1.0
USB Version Supported: v2.0
Bios:
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends
BIOS Date: 12/23/09
BIOS Version: V9.9
General information
Total Memory Size: 4 GBytes
General Information
Drive Controller: E-IDE (ATA-8)
Drive Channel: Primary, Master
Drive Model: WDC WD5000AAKB-00H8A0
Drive Revision: 05.04E05
Drive Serial Number: WD-WCASY3185764
Drive Capacity: 476,940 MBytes (500 GB)

Brgds
Iceland.
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. You can run a SSD in that system just be forewarned that the SATA II ports will be saturated/you will NOT get full performance out of SSDs. The only way to get full performance would be to get a SATA III add-on card to plug them into or replacing the motherboard. I'm in the same situation right now (running 2 SSDs on SATA II ports) until Ivy Bridge drops. It will be faster than normal hard drives on SATA II. Just don't expect to get full performance out of it on SATA II.
  2. stubbies is right, you will bottleneck the SSD. However, I threw a 60GB SSD in my wife's old C2Duo and it still made a world of difference. Dont let the word bottleneck scare you away because what you will really be gaining is moving from a 9ms seek time on your HDD to a 0ms seek time on your SSD which makes OS and program loading much faster as they are rarely sequential reads, and you have many seek times to worry about. Not to mention the SSD will still be 2X faster than a normal HDD on read/write times as well.

I chose the OCZ Solid3 60GB for my wife's PC, and it works just fine with win7 and installed on SATA2 ports.
  3. Oh! almost forgot!
    Dont bother doing trying to immage your system to the SSD, most likely it will not work. Plan on doing a full re-install
  4. Hi guys.
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    Ok.i was thinking in the same way as you are describing but now the question is,What type of motherboard can i change to if i go for that option????

Brgds
    Iceland
  5. Actually it is possible to do an image/drive copy from a standard setup to a SSD. When I bought mine I did a drive copy from my RAID 0 to the SSD and am typing on that very system now. Worked like a champ. :)
  6. iceland said:
    Hi guys.
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    Ok.i was thinking in the same way as you are describing but now the question is,What type of motherboard can i change to if i go for that option????

Brgds
    Iceland

You didn't list the processor you are running so cannot say. Unless you are looking to spend a lot of money upgrading your system I'd suggest just getting the add-in card for SATA III.
  7. OH Sorry.
    Here are the Processors:

Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    Original Processor Frequency: 3000.0 MHz

CPU ID: 00040F33
    Extended CPU ID: 00040F33
    CPU Brand Name: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
    CPU Stepping: JH-F3
    CPU Code Name: Windsor
    CPU Platform: Socket AM2

Number of CPU Cores: 2
    Number of Logical CPUs: 2
    CPU HFM (Maximum): 3000.0 MHz = 15.00 x 200.0 MHz @ 1.4000 V
    CPU Current: 3013.9 MHz = 15.00 x 200.9 MHz @ 1.3500 V

CPU Bus Type: Hyper-Transport v1.02
    Maximum Supported Hyper-Transport Link Clock: 1000 MHz
    Current Hyper-Transport Link Clock: 400 MHz

Cache and TLB
    L1 Cache: Instruction: 2 x 64 KBytes, Data: 2 x 64 KBytes
    L2 Cache: Integrated: 2 x 1 MBytes
    Instruction TLB: Fully associative, 32 entries
    Data TLB: Fully associative, 32 entries

Brgds
    iceland
  8. On add in card. make sure it is PCi-e X1 and Not an X4 as you only have one X1 available. Note, even with the Sata III cards, you will not get optium performance.

A reduced performance SSD is, as stated in previous post, is still much faster than a HDD.

Caution, you have an Nvidia Chipset, Not an intel chipset (as CaedenV C2Duo wife's computer). OCZ SF22xx Sata III were a hit/miss deal. Most (Can not say ALL) problems were ironed out with the latest 2.15 firmware). If plugging into Sata II MB connector, Might want to play it safe with an SSD using the Marvel controller, such as the M4.
  9. Ok Guys.
    I am rely not that well familiarized with chipset,s(Definitely need to learn more) but i found this SATA3 SATA III 1 Internal, 1 External 6Gbps Ports PCI-e Card ASM1061 Chipset with the following Features:

ASM1061 Chipset (Asmedia 1061 SATA Host Controller)
    Compliant with PCI-Express Specification V2.0 and Backward Compatible with PCI-Express 1.x
    Compliance Serial ATA AHCI Spec. Rev. 1.3, Serial ATA Rev. 3.0
    Supports Hot Plug and Hot Swap
    Supports Communication Speeds of 6.0Gbps, 3.0Gbps, and 1.5Gbps
    Supports 2 Ports Serial ATA
    Supports Native Command Queue (NCQ)
    Supports Port Multiplier
    Hardware Requirement:
    Computer with One Available PCI-e Slot
    Software Supports:

Windows 7 (32/64bit)
    Vista
    Server 2003
    Windows XP
    Windows 2000.

Is maybe this chipset god for the job????

Thank's for all your help so far.
    Brgds
    Iceland
  10. Your system will support a SSD just fine.

1. Ignore the points which others bring up here and on other threads regarding SATA II vs. SATA III - the extremely high majority of people do not have machines or applications that will make use of sustained throughput capabilities over 3 Gbps which SATA II (theoretically) maxes out at. Generally, the only time you'll see the higher SATA III speeds achieved will be when using a benchmark test - and to go out of your way to see a big number for the sake of a test is silly. Real world day to day usage will not require those higher speeds for any sustained period. Over short bursts, you are not going to notice. It makes little sense in my view to go out and additionally purchase a SATA III add-in card just to be able to hook a SATA III SSD to it and claim you can achieve SATA III speeds. Just by using an add-in card, you will suffer some performance degradation vs. if the SATA III port were on the motherboard. But again, there is no necessity or wonderous speed/performance increase to be seen by the very high majority of people using SSD on SATA III vs. SATA II - it's mostly theoretical vs. reality. You'll see lots of people going out of their way and proclaiming the big differences, but there isn't.

2. You can use a drive image/clone of your HD onto SSD and it will work just fine with no changes whatsoever - assuming that you first get the data on the original HD to fit into a single partition no bigger than the SSD. If the amount of your HD used is less than the size of your SSD, it is a straightforward process to defrag, then use GParted to resize the partition, and then use Clonezilla to create the image of your HD onto a SSD. Doing that, the cloned SSD will work just fine.

If you are not already running AHCI, then you will have a little more work involved if you want to switch to AHCI - and it is pretty much required that you use AHCI mode to get the best performance from your SSD regardless of the system. But again, whether you actually notice the difference in performance of AHCI vs. non-AHCI is debatable and dependent upon your normal usage. If you are running with Win 7, switching to AHCI can be as simple as just updating the registry entry to start up using msahci, and then switching the BIOS entry to use AHCI. For other MS operating systems it is not as straightforward and not guaranteed to support AHCI (Win 2000 with Intel chipset for example). I am not familiar with AMD CPU/chipset so have no words of wisdom for your configuration.

6 SSDs worth of experience (4 different models from 3 different vendors, all running fine, never any glitches) here with machines running Win 2000, Win XP, and Win 7.

Bottom line - purchase the proper size SSD to hold your operating system and installed apps for the least amount of money you can find it. You will be happiest with the speed increase at a reasonable price. Depending on the operating system you're running, something in the 60GB to 96GB range should be sufficent. I'd say for most people under normal circumstances, there's no real need for any more than 128GB. On my Win 2000 Server, I'm running with dual 64GB SATA III Crucial SSDs, and to be honest, even with the machine built for speed, it would probably be just as good with dual 32GB SATA II.

Don't go overboard if you don't have the need.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Motherboards Storage