• Water Cooling
  • Shark
  • Aerocool
  • LED Monitor
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 15, 2012 6:15:21 PM

Hi all

I have bought some 140mm Aerocool Shark fans for my radiator. I got the red LED version as plain black was not available at the time and the prices were the same anyway – I am not really bothered about looks. I have not had the chance to use them yet as I’m waiting for other parts but came across a worrying statement in an old edition of Custom PC I happened to be browsing. The editor who wrote the column stated that LED fans were basically rubbish as they were made of flimsy clear plastic which flexed too much. This increased the noise considerably and robbed fans of most of their ability to move air. I’ve looked at recent customer reviews of these fans on online retail sites and the comments regarding noise and airflow/pressure seemed consistent whether the reviewer owned the plain black or coloured LED version.

Can anyone shed any light on this. The article is dated from 2009 so I wonder if problems with LED fans have been corrected now. If not I think I will send them back. I notice the manufacturer’s specifications are identical whether the fan is a LED model or not but fan specifications are generally untrustworthy from what I’ve read.

Thanks in advance

Mag

More about : led fans worse led

a c 150 K Overclocking
July 15, 2012 6:32:59 PM

The Aerocool fan LED's are not even in the way of the fan blades at all.

There should be no problems in anyway, the Sharks are good fans :) 
July 15, 2012 6:41:39 PM

I would think it depends more on the company and the quality of the material. Most of the time you get what you pay for with fans. I do as much research on a product as I can before I buy it. From what I see these fans only have a Static Pressure(SP) of around 1. I would return them if you can and get a fan with higher static pressure, since it is for your radiator. I know the most popular one right now is the Gentle Typhoon ap-15. But, as always, research before you buy.
Related resources
July 16, 2012 9:59:34 AM

amuffin said:
The Aerocool fan LED's are not even in the way of the fan blades at all.

There should be no problems in anyway, the Sharks are good fans :) 

Thanks for your reply. Various posts on other forums suggest the problem is a thing of the past and the materials used for good quality fans is now the same irrespective of whether they have LEDs or not.

Thanks again

Mag
July 16, 2012 10:07:44 AM

barthalamoo said:
I would think it depends more on the company and the quality of the material. Most of the time you get what you pay for with fans. I do as much research on a product as I can before I buy it. From what I see these fans only have a Static Pressure(SP) of around 1. I would return them if you can and get a fan with higher static pressure, since it is for your radiator. I know the most popular one right now is the Gentle Typhoon ap-15. But, as always, research before you buy.

Thanks for your reply. Various replies on other forums suggest this quality problem is a thing of the past. As regards my choice of Aerocools I did indeed do some research. Martin's Liquid Labs recommended them as the best mid speed 140mm fan for radiators - the only test I could find specifically relating to radiators. His testing ignored all the quoted specs and was based on his real world measurements of noise/airflow when fans were actually attached to radiators rather than being on some form of artificial testbench.

I considered the Gentle Typhoons but unfortunately they are more expensive and difficult to obtain. However what eventually swung me against them was they do not produce a 140mm version so I would have to use the 120mm version with some form of adaptor.

Thanks again for your input

Mag
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 16, 2012 5:32:48 PM

They have high static pressure ;) 
!