PCI slot power limit?

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I'm just curious about what the PCI-e slot power limit setting is in the BIOS? I have a Biostar TA880GB+ and an HD 6870, and I had it set at 250W at one time until I overclocked too much and reset the BIOS a few weeks ago, which I just now noticed reset it to 50W. I haven't noticed any changes in performance, so my question is, what's the point of setting it? Thanks!

Augray

Solution
Apparently, a 2.1 slot (which I've never actually seen. As far as I know the slots on most boards are 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0) is capable of 150W from the slot, but the PCIe standard usually calls for 75W from the slot, which is why most mid-range and above cards need an extra power connector.

A 6870 HAS such a connector (maybe two), so it wouldn't need to pull more than 75W from the slot anyway. That's probably the reason you didn't notice it (although I must admit, I didn't even know you COULD increase the wattage available from the slot. I wouldn't figure that it would be safe, especially 250W).
Apparently, a 2.1 slot (which I've never actually seen. As far as I know the slots on most boards are 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0) is capable of 150W from the slot, but the PCIe standard usually calls for 75W from the slot, which is why most mid-range and above cards need an extra power connector.

A 6870 HAS such a connector (maybe two), so it wouldn't need to pull more than 75W from the slot anyway. That's probably the reason you didn't notice it (although I must admit, I didn't even know you COULD increase the wattage available from the slot. I wouldn't figure that it would be safe, especially 250W).

Solution

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

oohhh...i knew that, it gets the rest of the power from the 6 pin connectors. i'm a dummy. thanks!