Router troubles

Torre

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi everyone!

I have a TP-Link TL-WR642G v4 router, with a desktop computer (via cable) and a laptop (wirelessly) connected to it. After I got it, I set it up, configured everything and it worked properly. But a few days later, I couldn't browse or download at all. The router responds to pinging, but if I try to ping any other IP address through it, it fails. The wireless network seems to be working, the laptop can connect to it, signal strength is 5/5, but again, no websites can be opened. I tried pretty much everything I could think of, resetting the router to factory defaults, rebooting both the modem and the router, unplugging everything for a few hours, checked the cables, completely reconfigured everything but to no avail. My ISP is unlikely to be the source of the problem, because if I connect through the modem , everything works smoothly (like when I'm writing this).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

riser

Illustrious
The ISP generally will lock the MAC address of the NIC attached to their Modem. If you plugged in another computer directly to the modem, that may be locked.

If you connect a computer to the modem and it works, you will want to verify that you have the modem plugging into the WAN port of the Router. On the router you should be able to see the Status to see what IP address your ISP is assigning to your Router. If you do not see anything there it would be time to contact your ISP.

In contacting your ISP, explain that you have a new NIC on the modem and they will release the MAC address held and pick up the new MAC address from your router.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
So the wired desktop works on the internet? The laptop no longer does?

Well unless you were making changes in the router, then something on your laptop has changed. You've possibly installed something, or changed a setting/s that have stopped access to the internet.

I would compare the desktop's network status (gateway address, DNS address, subnet mask) to the laptop's network status. Those should all be the same on both machines.

If those seem ok think back to when it stopped working, did you make any changes at that time? Download an update? Etc.