How to turn off autoupdate for SP2 for XP

I want to keep the auto update feature but turn off SP2
only
4 answers Last reply
More about turn autoupdate

    You can not turn it off, SP2 is a much needed install.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113

    How to install SP2 update

    Download to a folder or use the SP2 CD, then do the following.

    If using the update site do this before installing.

    1) Run CW Shredder

    2) Run Ad-Aware SE

    3) Run Spybot S&D

    4) Run 2 different free virus scanners

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?affid=294

    5) Do it all 1 more time. (Maybe a little overkill, better safe then sorry)

    6) Turn Off System Restore to delete any trash trapped in them files.
    (Reboot)

    7) Delete Temp & Temp. Internet files.

    http://www.aarp.org/computers-howto/Articles/a2002-07-15-tempfiles.html

    8) Turn System Restore back on Create a Restore Point.

    9) Unplug everything except the Monitor, Keyboard, & Mouse.

    10) Shutdown Virus Protection

    11) Proceed with install.

    --
    Good Day
    River_Rat

    "arlene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I want to keep the auto update feature but turn off SP2
    only

    "arlene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I want to keep the auto update feature but turn off SP2
    >only

    This is not possible. Install the SP2, then you won't be nagged again.

    --
    (tm)

    there is a temporary patch you can install from the MS site to block SP2,
    but next year April time, you will have no choice from what I have read.

    Just search MS site for SP2 blocker

    Jeff

    arlene wrote:

    > I want to keep the auto update feature but turn off SP2
    > only
    Hi

    To avoid that Automatic Updates tries to install SP2 at all (up to
    12. April 2005):

    Toolkit to Temporarily Block Delivery of Windows XP SP2 to a PC
    Through Automatic Updates and Windows Update
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8BCE6BBA-EA5D-4425-89C1-C1CB1CCD463C&displaylang=en

    Run the XPSP2BlockerTools.exe in the link above. It will extract
    several files to the folder you specify.

    Then run XPSP2Blocker.exe to activate the blockage (it will create
    the registry value described in the link above).

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP