Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HTPC from an extra machine

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2009 3:53:55 AM

Hey all - I have an Intel Duo Core Desktop with 4gb RAM, 1TB HD, Tons of USB and Firewire inputs that I built awhile back to do some basic video editing but I tend to use my other machine to do everything so instead of letting it go to waste I want to convert it to a HTPC for browsing on my HDTV. My main question is - What can I use as a remote control to control things like rew/FF/pause, etc? Is the Microsoft Remote Control & Receiver for Media Center good for this or will it limit me? What else would I need to do the things I want which are

Watch Rips of my DVD's Xvid, etc
Watch BluRay discs from my Lite-on drive coming from Newegg :) 
Watch Hulu/Youtube/etc
Listen to my music
Browse the web/Email
Possibly do Skype
Run TVersity

I guess it would just be nice to navigate a little bit with a remote but am not sure if that is possible - thanks for any advice!

By the way - At the moment I am fine with my cable provided HD DVR but I wouldn't mind adding the capability of a dvr in the future. Is this all possible with this machine?

More about : htpc extra machine

December 29, 2009 11:23:11 AM

Just to add - here are the basic models of what it is made of

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz
Video card - EVGA 512-P2-N747-LR GeForce 8500 GT 512MB

Best solution

December 29, 2009 2:29:11 PM

You could probably go with something like this MCE Wireless Keyboard w/ Remote. I use a similar product and it works well enough.

I also have this MCE keyboard, but I do not like the little nipple for mouse control.

Both of these suggestions assume you have an OS with Media Center included (XP MCE, Vista Home Premium/Ultimate, 7 Home Premium/Ultimate).

Finally, I might recommend this Hauppauge WinTV-2250 w/ MCE Remote for your DVR functions.

-Wolf sends

Note: The nMedia Keyboard is identical to my Adesso wireless keyboard and I've had some problems with it which Adesso failed to resolve. The key mapping is incorrect on mine.
December 29, 2009 4:50:22 PM

Thanks Wolf - I kind of like the Microsoft solution since it is cheaper but maybe I would use that until I grow out of it - less investment now is the way I want to go.
!