Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on Aftermarket Heatsink + Fan

Last response: in Overclocking
July 15, 2012 7:57:23 PM

My CPU has been running fairly hot lately. Right now it's basically idling at 45C with fans running at 4600 RPM. Fans typically stay between 4500 and 5000 RPM during idle. Ambient temperature is 26C. I've tried reapplying the thermal paste and that helped a little with the CPU temps but my main problem is the fan noise level. When I run an intensive program CPU temps get up to around 55C with the fan running at 6000 RPM which makes it extremely loud.

Basically I want to get an aftermarket heatsink and fan for my system to quiet down the computer but don't know very much about them and would like some recommendations.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A78-CM (AM2)
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (MSI)
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 402MHz

My case is: http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/apollo

Just taking a measurement of the outside width of the case it's 20 cm so I'm thinking most HSFs should fit.

Basically I just want one that will fit in the case and run quieter than the stock AMD heatsink fan. I do not plan on overclocking so doesn't have to run super cool just quiet. I'd like to try and spend less than $30 if possible. I should add that I'm not very tech savy and if I can avoid having to take out the MOBO for installation (as is required in the Hyper 212) that would be preferred.

I am looking at getting this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

is there any way to determine if it will fit with my motherboard? the RAM slots are quite close to the CPU on it.

Thank you very much for your help!
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 15, 2012 9:11:42 PM

It will all fit! Don't worry.
m
l
July 15, 2012 9:16:07 PM

amuffin said:
It will all fit! Don't worry.

You mean the Hyper TX3 will fit/work?
m