Multimonitor PCs

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
We've seen the recent ATIs eyeinfinity technology work and seen how it supports multiple screens. Im currently thinking of getting multiple screens (a 3rd one), and found out that you dont need to get a 5850 or 70 in order to do so. In fact you can do it with a 3650s 9600gt, etc, as seen below:

http://www.multi-monitors.com/SUPER_PC_Multi_Screen_Computer_Multi_Monitors_com_p/mmcdtp01.htm

So can somebody tell me, how does this work, and can I do this on my current GPU, which is a 4890.

Cheers.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
wow this is strange. I normally have a reply in a day; perhaps I phrased the question wrongly:

Does anyone know how to do a 3 independent monitor setup, that is to say, one primary and two independent extended desktops using one single 4890?

If you throw in a 4670, not in crossfire, it will enable you to run 2 more monitor. Im not sure how to run more than 2 monitors off a single 4890 but you can add another card to increase your allowed monitor count.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Like stranger said, and adding to that, the Eyefinity tech allows a single graphics card to out put up to 3 monitors, 6 for the higher end cards.

So you can either get a med-high card and use 3 from a single gfx or buy 3 seperate cards. Im sure the single card would work out cheaper and more efficient (power and heat)

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I do do gaming, but only on 1 display, if I do. Im likely to turn other monitors off in order to do so. I want 3 monitors so i can have either excel, word, and internet on each displays.
So, in which case, does that mean that if i get a pci card, I should be fine? do I need to get a new psu? I have a 550w corsair, one dvd combo, one HDD and phenomIIx2 550 at stock, using 3 usb ports at most.