RMA rejected because of motherboard tracks

Deathwing1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Hi, I have had nothing but trouble with my PC and have decided to auction off the various high-performance components and buy a new machine, but the retailer won't replace the motherboard under warranty.

I bought the motherboard (Asus M4A79T Deluxe) from Scan computers less than a year ago. The computer has had problems and a few weeks ago I sent the mobo back to Scan who said nothing was wrong with it and charged me £20 for its return. When I received it I put it back in the machine with a brand new PSU, pressed the power button and flames came up from the motherboard. That's when I decided to just sell everything, so I sent the motherboard back to Scan under warranty.

Scan rejected the warranty because there is physical damage (from the fire) and it has scratched tracks. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to write off the motherboard? This whole experience with Scan has been incredibly frustrating!

inerax

Distinguished

You can contact Asus and return it directly to them under the warranty. give that a shot.

Deathwing1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks, I should have mentioned that's what Scan have said they will do (send it on to Asus) but they did say the scratched tracks might have voided Asus' warranty. I guess that is all I can try then.

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Another person had recently been refused warrenty because of some minor scratch on his asus motherboard.

Is this a conspiracy or something with Asus boards? Scratch it a little after a return so it voids the warrenty for them?

Hate to say it but having a non-branded cheap PSU blow the MOBO up is not really something ASUS will (or should) cover under it's MOBO warranty - I mean you use a PSU that has no protection built in to keep it from burning out components and then expect the maker of those components cover the damages done by another companies cheaply made part. (assuming the PSU is the cause due to the fact that the MOBO had already been returned to SCAN and tested by them with no problems found so it flaming up like that would suggest a PSU problem - and since that is the part many users fail to see the importance of not under cutting quality on)

Deathwing1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
The first time I sent the motherboard back I was using a £100 Coolermaster M850 PSU when smoke came out. After Scan returned the board and said it was fine, I replaced the PSU (just in case) with a brand new £110 Cool & Quiet PSU. Then I had the flames. Both PSUs still work fine as far as I can tell, so it's definitely not a PSU issue.