Can I move my OS to another internal HD on the same machine

What I am trying to do it eventually get a SSD as a boot drive, but limitations in cash wont allow for me to get a HDD and a SSD right now. I want to know if it will be possible to move the operating system (without a disk) to the SSD at a later date and any complications I might run into in doing this, files and other things that probably would not fit on the SSD that would have to remain on the HDD.
3 answers Last reply
More about move internal machine
  1. I would say you could make an "image" of your Hard Drive... and when you get the SSD you could just load that "image" to it... using Norton Ghost or some other back-up/restore software... you would need to make the image to exclude those larger files. If you try and access them after the restore, it may give you an error because it is looking for them on the C: drive when in fact they are now on the D: or E: drive(because you excluded them)... so just be aware this may pop-up.
  2. Partition your hard drive so the first "C" partition is the size of the prospective ssd.. Install the os there, along with any apps. If you have more than will fit, then put any storage and overflow files on a second partition. When it comes time to move to a ssd, you should be able to clone the image, or restore via an image copy.

You should also prep your OS by setting the bios sata mode to AHCI so that trim will be enabled.

It will also be helpful if you set the hard drive windows offset to a 4k boundary. Google"how to set SSD offset" This will have a minor plus benefit to ssd performance.
  3. Zeckiris said:
    What I am trying to do it eventually get a SSD as a boot drive, but limitations in cash wont allow for me to get a HDD and a SSD right now. I want to know if it will be possible to move the operating system (without a disk) to the SSD at a later date and any complications I might run into in doing this, files and other things that probably would not fit on the SSD that would have to remain on the HDD.

yes, you could do a complete clone your OS from one hard drive to another, you could refers to this article "How to clone hard drive to a new hard drive in Windows 7"

However, if your target hard disk is a SSD, you'd better do a fresh install, some hardware driver may could not be cloned during the operation.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD HD Storage