Sign in with
Your question

USB External Hard Drive will not remount after being "safely removed".

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2011 4:27:53 PM

I have searched this topic extensively, but have yet to find a solution specific to my problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop that up until a couple of weeks ago, I could plug my Iomega eGo hard drive into and access. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, if I plug the hard drive into the laptop while the laptop is on, the drive is not recognized. The virtual CD partition (which contains the Iomega Encryption Utility) will mount, but the drive itself will not.

The drive appears under Disk Drives in Device Manager; however, under Disk Management the drive appears without a letter drive, lists no file system, and says it is Healthy (Active).

If I attempt to assign it a letter driver, I am presented with "The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. to enable to partition or volume, restart the computer."

If I restart the computer, the drive is recognized (Disk Management recognizes it as an NTFS, Healthy, allocated drive) and everything appears to work fine. However, again, if I "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device", and then try to reconnect the drive I run into the same problem.

It does not seem to me to be a hard drive problem... The hard drive appears to work fine. I'll say it again: it works fine... I can plug it into any other computer and not have any issues reading or saving to the drive. It is just with this one laptop that I have to restart everytime I want to plug in an USB mass storage-type device.

Can anyone tell me what happened with this laptop to suddenly act this way and how to fix it!
a b G Storage
December 12, 2011 10:54:11 PM

Hello trico121,

Weird problem.

I would first try this simple solution and try System Restore and restore the system to a date when everything was working fine.
m
l
Related resources
!